Chapter 9 | Nightmares

The flames roar in front of me, threatening to burn me alive.

I hear the screeches of my friends, and Charlottes voice echoing in my ear.

It was a month after she was murdered, and everything was slowly going downhill.

The fire had been started by Alana, not intentionally.

We were at the park, and it was Charlottes birthday, or what should have been her birthday.

Alana and Charlotte were best friends, and she hadn't taken the loss very well.

We were all drunk, underage, and Alana was smoking.

I picked up her lighter and threw it as hard as I could.

Five minutes later we hear screeches and shouts.

We all get up and walk over to wear the yelling is coming from.

A small house near the park, had been the settling point of Alana's lighter.

A small patch of grass where the lighter had landed, had now been set ablaze.

There was a roaring in my ears, and I don't know if it was from the flames or the blood rushing through my body.

We stood there, dumbfounded as the flames crawled up the side of the house, the window ledges already been eaten by the hungry torment of the flames.

Charlotte's death was a closed case.

They say she was murdered by a group of terrorists.

But I knew that wasn't it.

Charlotte was killed, because my father was a drug dealer, and made some sketchy deals.

I was pulled into it when he overdosed, he had debts to loads of people.

And as his oldest daughter, apparently It fell to me, my mother didn't know at the time.

So I hid from them, but they killed Charlotte.

And now, she was dead, because of me.

"SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING" Aaliyah screeches.

We all panicked, and Alana called someone.

I'm guessing now it was Sapphire, the twin sister we never knew of.

Why did she hide that from us?

By now the entire house was on fire, glowing an eerie red.

"The police and firemen are coming." Alana yelled over the screech of the flames.

"There are people inside." I said as quietly as possible, but still being heard.

I could see the silhouettes of people inside.

This was my fault.

"WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING." Aaliyah sobbed.

My eyes glaze over, tears are springing to my eyes, possibly from the smoke, or from the tears threatening to spill over.

A sudden jolt wakes me up, and I look around.

Joel is sleeping next to me.

Buddy woke me up.

I'm sweating like hell.

Nightmares.