Chapter 19 | More information?

READ THE AUTHORS NOTE AT THE END!

Lizzie's POV

I hum as my feet thrum on the pavement.

Excitement bubbled in my chest as I thought about all the lies and secrets that could be over in a matter of days.

It was enough to make me squeal.

But I forced myself to compose keep my emotions in check and focus on the task at hand.

The map on my phone directs me and I end up at a small driveway.

Despite having never been here, I knew exactly where to go.

Instead of using the front door, I walk round to the gate and into the garage.

It's mostly empty, except a small TV, and a keypad on one of the smaller doors.

I tap in the sequence code that was on my dad's ID, and the door slowly opens.

"Lizzie."

I turn my flashlight on and see Marcus sitting at a table, a piece of paper in front of him.

There is no light switch, so I set my phone face down to illuminate the room.

Sliding my dads ID across the table, I look Marcus straight in the eye, "I want the truth."

He sighs, picking up the card and turning it around in his hands.

"How much do you know."

"Not much." I pull the little evidence I have out and place them on the table.

One of the photos that I'd found in the albums, after careful inspection, I'd found had an address on the back, this address to be specifically.

It had the instructions I'd used to get in this house.

A few others had addresses, but this was the only one in the UK, the rest were back home.

The VHS tapes were stacked up, as well as the camera, which still didn't have a battery that worked, after many failed attempts, and the yearbooks.

Marcus looked over it for a bit.

"Your dad and I worked for the CIA, we worked some pretty standard stuff for the first few years, murders, stalkers, stuff like that."

I sit silently, unsure of what to respond.

"We then got presented with a new drug ring case, for a Mafia group. I turned it down at first, because I was afraid. But your dad agreed.

A few days later he was given a new identity and was all ready for the mission. The mafia group was called the Scourge, and a massive drug handoff had been tipped to the head agent.

Your dad was posing as Carlisle Dray, an inner circle member of the Scourge, who had been jailed by the CIA a few months before the drug handoff, your dad usually didn't do this undercover stuff but the similarities he had with Dray made him perfect.

He had been undercover for a few months, gathering information. The cartel was near where you used to live, and he had to be there at night as that's when they met." Marcus paused.

"You should watch this." He hands me one of the VHS tapes.

"I don't have a tape player."

"Follow me."

I follow him out of the room and back into the garage.

He pulls out a tape player and plugs it in, and I hand him the tape.