⚜️ Into the Light ⚜️

The sun was rising over Cairo.

He could see it glistening in the shattered glass and glimmering in the growing pool of blood. Golden reflexes were dancing on the asphalt and concrete, as if to celebrate his death.

A ghost of a smile tugged at the corners of his mouth.

He could feel it. The warmth.

For the first time in over a hundred years, he could feel the sun on his skin. It didn't burn. All he felt was gentle tingling.

He managed to forget what it felt like to be kissed by the sun itself. But he never forgot that sensation.

He knew it too well.

He turned his head, facing the sky above him. Pale blue was chasing away remnants of the night sky, covering the last stars with milky, white clouds.

He smiled, and for the first time in years, it was a genuine smile. Not one caused by the pain or misfortune of others. It was a smile of pure joy.

So this is the serenity humans keep chasing.

He closed his eyes, basking in the glow.

That feeling...

~

"Dio?" he heard. It was a voice filled with worry, but with the undertone of something much warmer. "Wake up, Dio!"

He blinked slowly, his eyes adjusting to the brightness of the place. He saw a silhouette in front of him, and the shape of a manor further in the distance.

He blinked one more time, and opened his eyes to see a pair of baby blues drilling into him intensely.

"JoJo?" he asked. A large smile split the other man's features. Dio's vision went blurry.

"What's wrong?" Jonathan asked, cupping his cheek with the palm of his hand.

That feeling.

He didn't respond. He just threw his arms around JoJo, hugging him tightly. Jonathan returned the embrace.

Dio pulled away ever so slightly, looking into those blue eyes. He wanted to say something, anything, but all he did was place his lips on JoJo's. He could feel the bluenette smile into the kiss before returning it.

That feeling.

The tingling under his skin when Jonathan touched him, when Jonathan kissed him...

It was like standing in the sun after a century of hiding in the darkness.

"It's okay, Dio. I love you," JoJo said when they pulled away. "And I'm glad we're together again."

He never forgot being in love. The feeling twisted over the years, it turned into bitter hatred which faded away to become a sharp pain throbbing in his cold heart.

"I love you, Jonathan. I never stopped."

JoJo smiled. He got up, dusted off his pants, and extended his hand towards Dio.

"I know. That's why I was waiting for you. Come on now, you've suffered enough."

Dio looked around. Flowers were in full bloom and the sun was glistening in a river up ahead. Birds were chirping and leaves were rustling.

He's never felt more peaceful.

He took Jonathan's hand, allowing himself to be led further into the light.

~

Jotaro didn't expect Dio to plead for his life in the face of death. But he didn't expect him to smile, either. He expected something like annoyed indifference, or pure rage.

But when he looked at Dio, his blood seeping onto the road, his body slowly turning to dust, all he saw was acceptance. Some might call it happiness.

Then, with his final breath, Dio muttered something. It sounded like a promise and an apology at once.

"I love you, JoJo."

Jotaro's eyes widened at that statement. Dio's hand fell back to the ground as the light continued to consume him.

His ashes were carried by the wind towards the sun in a gentle waltz.

As Jotaro was making his way down the street, for a second he thought he heard the ashes whisper a 'thank you'.

He continued walking.

My heart just 💔