Mr. Popular: Chapter 19

No one moved, silence ran rife throughout the room. Both boys stood ready to dive off at any minute.

Sakura watched as Sasuke smirked at Gaara, other persons were in the race, but his eyes were fixated at the red haired guy next to him.

Whomever won this swim meet would be the final addition to the swim team.

Neji and all the others waited for Maito Gai to blow the whistle. Hinata had regained consciousness and was standing between Neji and an over protective Naruto. Sakura stood between Kankurō and Temari. Since that was the only place she felt welcome. Sort of.

The whistle was blown and the swimmers dove in head first. Instantly the crowd started cheering. Fan girls were torn between their high school sweetheart, Sasuke and the new comer, Gaara.

Sakura stood with her hands together and her lips sealed. She desperately wanted Sasuke to win and maybe he would. Gaara was in the lead, but a miracle could happen right?

This was an easy win for the golden boy of Sunagakure. He paced his breaststroke and breathed deeply. But his breath caught once he laid eyes on her.

Standing to the farthest end of the enclosed space was the mystery girl from Undōkai. She looked so innocent and adorable just standing there alone. Her long black hair was caught in a pony tail and her blue eyes were staring at...him.

His breathing suddenly stopped and he felt himself sinking. Why is she looking at me that way? Wait, she's looking at me!

Gaara had now sank to the bottom of the tiled pool. Out of breath and too shy to resurface, he decided to take his chances and stay down there. At least until the race ended.

Sasuke watched as the red haired boy sank to the pool's bottom and smirked. He knew he'd win. It was obvious that he was the better man anyway.

And on a whim, Sasuke laughed. Not realizing the consequences of his actions, he started choking from the water that rushed down his throat. Grabbing his throat and moving frantically, he began to drown.

Gasping for air and grabbing at who knows what, the sounds of the cheering faded and with it came complete darkness.

"What the hell Teme?!" Naruto yelled causing Hinata to wince.

"Lee," said Gai.

"Yes Sensei!" Said Lee as he dove into the pool after both Sasuke and Gaara, since they suspected that he was dead.

"Sasuke?" Sakura asked no one in particular. Neji face palmed and Tenten laughed. Who would have thought, the two guys who were the crowd's favourite were drowning.

Pulling both boys out of the water, Lee lay them on the pool side. "Does anyone know CPR?" Asked Neji calmly.

"I do," said Tenten.

"Does anyone, other than Tenten, know CPR?" He repeated.

"W-well..." Hinata said twirling her fingers. "I-I do Neji-nii-san."

"Does anyone other than Hinata, who is my girlfriend, know CPR?" Naruto asked pulling Hinata closer and making her blush.

"I-I do..." Said a voice from the back of the crowd. The crowd parted and a dark haired, blue eyed girl stepped forward. "I can help..."

"Well then come on!" Naruto yelled eager to help his friend.

"Uh...huh," she said hurrying to Gaara's side. A light blush crept upon her cheeks as she inched closer.

"So Gaara gets first preference?!" Naruto asked outraged.

"Shh!" Everyone, except Hinata, said.

"We need someone to help Sasuke," Lee pointed out.

"Sasuke-kun!" Karin said running forward.

Naruto accidentally placed his foot in the way making her trip and fall into the pool.

"Anyone? Someone?" Asked Neji. "He could die you know."

At the word die, Sakura perked up. "I'll do it," she said and Naruto smiled.

While Sakura knelt over Sasuke, Gaara's savior was hard at work. The feel of his lips against hers made her tremble in both fear and joy. To say she was nervous was an understatement, and he was unconscious. What would happen if he wasn't?

Meanwhile Sakura was shitting bricks. Who would have thought that the first time her lips was to touch her all time crush's, it would be in a situation like this?

She inched closer after positioning the onyx eyed boy. Her breath feathered against his cheek as her breathing grew heavier. You can do this...You can.

Taking a deep breath she started to blow air into his body. After a few breaths she'd pump his chest, trying hard not to notice his toned abs.

Gaara started coughing and the timid girl pulled back ready to run. But his hand snaked around her wrist holding her in place.

"Wait," he said; his throat dry.

"Huh?"

"What's your name?"

"Yuina..." She replied.

"Yuina," Gaara repeated right before she was knocked out the way by Temari.

"Gaara! Are you okay?" Asked the worried sister.

"Yuina...Yuina," he repeated over and over again.

"Oh God, he'd gone mad. Kankurō!"

"Yes?"

"Let's get Gaara to the nurse." She said already helping him up.

"What a drag," Shikamaru commented as he watched.

But the crowd's attention was caught by the sudden coughing of the raven haired boy.

"Sasuke," Sakura whispered as she blushed. My lips were just on his!

"That's it! Girl power!" Yelled her inner self.

He stared up at the jade green eyed girl and felt something in his chest move. It stung, but it was a good feeling also. She'd just given him CPR. Her lips were on his, too bad he was unconscious.

What am I thinking? You don't like this nerd!

"Get him to the nurse," said Gai.

Lee nodded and helped the Onyx eyed boy out. Sakura quickly scurried to Hinata's side.

"Hey Neji," said Tenten.

"Yes Tenten?"

"Who won?"

Neji furrowed his eyebrows and frowned, "I don't know."

Tenten shrugged. Shino sat on the edge of the pool, at the finishing point. He sighed and watched as everyone left and turned out the lights.