𝟹𝟻 - ɴᴜᴍʙ ᴀɴᴅ ᴀɴɢʀʏ

"I know," I assure Harry that I knew the consequences of what would happen if I did try telling Alex the truth

"I know," I assure Harry that I knew the consequences of what would happen if I did try telling Alex the truth. He honestly needed to trust me sometimes, although I'd totally understand why he wouldn't after the stunt I pulled...

I grabbed the burner phone with excitement, knowing I could finally call Alex. I loved Alex with all my heart and I would do anything for her. To know that I was about to finally hear her voice again, just for a moment, was enough for me, even if I couldn't be truthfully honest with her.

Tapping the number in, I found myself growing more excited by the minute. I started to bite my nails before I put the phone up against my ear, listening to the ringing.

My excitement kind of turned down just a little when I heard the ring go all the way through. Disappointment flashed my face, as I said out loud, "She didn't answer."

I heard Harry say, "Okay, just call her again," which I did immediately.

Maybe she was taking a nap. I mean, I have to give her at least that. I was impatient once more as I dialed the number again and she still didn't answer.

What?

"Do you want to call someone else, maybe?"

"Uhh... I could call her mom?" See what's up?" Maybe she was asleep and she's a deep sleeper, so a phone call won't wake her up. I decided to dial in her mom's number, silently hoping that would do it.

Finally, the ring from the burner phone was cut short before I heard her mother's familiar voice. "Hello? Who is this?"

"Oh, hi Mrs. Lawston! This is Toria," I greeted eagerly. "I was just wondering how Alex was doing. She isn't picking up her phone."

"T- toria?" She sounded choked up, causing worry to ignite in me. "You haven't heard?" Her voice was troubling the way she sounded so emotionally drained.

"What?" I asked, concern starting to appear on my face. I could tell Harry noticed, but I didn't care, trying to focus on what Mrs. Lawston was referring to.

I was filled with worry when I heard Mrs. Lawston take a deep breath before saying with full sadness, "Honey, she was murdered. I thought you knew." She whispered the last part, her voice wavering.

Everything stopped.

My breathing. Time. My heart. Every last thing stopped as the words echoed around me.

Honey, she was murdered. I thought you knew.

My heart felt like it completely stopped as I felt the most unbearable pain strike my chest. My body went limp, my legs and arms being weak before I couldn't even feel them — Just the immense pain in the middle of my chest.