Chapter 2: Wish Granted

Chapter 2

"Emma, happy birthday sweetheart." My dad said as he entered through my door. He brought in a tiny box that was wrapped in fuchsia paper. It was tiny and fit in his hand.

"This is for you. It was your mothers." He smiled slightly. I haven't heard from my mother in a while. She ran away when I was four years old. Or at least that's what my dad told me even though I knew he was lying.

"What is it?" I asked hesitantly.

"Well it's not my birthday." He chuckled.

"Open it up and see." he handed me the tiny box. I was really sad when she left. I still don't know why.

I tore the wrapper apart and I now held a blue velvet box. I was a bit afraid to open it to see whatever it was. I was extremely close to my mother in those four years. Well obviously, who wouldn't?

"Dad, along with this, could you possibly tell me why mom left?" I asked. I'm seventeen, I'm pretty sure he could tell me now.

"Uh, I guess I should now." He said hesitantly and then his words gave me the strength to open the present.

Inside the small velvet box was a silver chained necklace. Holding the chain together at the bottom was a oval locket. Surrounding the locket was a wolf on the outer circle. The tail was the opening and I didn't want to open it.

But I did. Inside was a note. Discreetly, I let it fall out into my palm. Then there was nothing more inside, just the cold hard truth... Well just the shiny background of the locket. I still loved it because it was from my mother, even if it had nothing, except for the note that I'm going to read in a bit.

"It's beautiful dad. Really, I love it. Now, can you tell me?" I asked, looking up from the locket to my dad. He sat down on my aqua blue sheets that I was covered in.

"You're mother left because she left as someone else's mate" He said somberly.

"Weren't you her mate?" I asked him in a loud voice.

"Not exactly." He said, looking away.

"Dad, what are you not telling me?" I asked, looking down at the locket.

"You're mother thought our love already was stronger. Much stronger than a bond could ever be. I wanted to mate her but being as I loved her so much, I let her have her way." He said looking back at me.

"But it wasn't strong was it?" I asked sadly.

"I don't really know. I loved your mother very much, Emma, my love for her was strong and sure, but I just didn't know about her. Someone from a different pack claimed her and she left." He said looking down.

"So that's why she left?" I asked.

"Yeah, and why I haven't found anyone else." He smiled slightly.

"You don't want anyone else." I said, confirming what he meant.

"Yeah." There silence around us and I was thinking back to my mother.

"Anyways, you're seventeen today! Wow. My daughter already seventeen." He cooed.

"How do I phase now?" I blurted excitedly. Maybe when I do, I could phase.

"Well, it's a really hard process, sweetheart. You have to become one with your wolf. You know how it's you, the part that's human, who thinks and talks and walks and sleeps? And then it's your wolf, who keeps you company, protects you, fights and inhabits your soul and mind? You two have to become one. You become the wolf and the wolf becomes you. If that makes sense. " He said.