Chapter 3

Walking down the stairs, I head to the refrigerator pulling out the milk and setting it on the table. Mom is sitting by the phone and Dad is by her side. Both their faces look tired, and pained. My eyes squint as I study them and chew my cereal. Ever since the fair last week the pair of them have been acting extremely weird. Mom hadn’t gone to work, and dad had come home early every day, the majority of the time they were on the phone talking to some unknown person quietly. Normally I was quiet an apathetic child, I honestly didn’t really care about anybody’s problems but my own, but his was really beginning to pique my interest. My body fidgeted as I listened to try and get a scrap of the conversation.

“Yes I understand,” mom mutters into the phone, “No we have been planning on it since Wednesday, so everything is ready for him.”

Him? My ears strain to hear better but a series of loud stomping footfalls come from behind me as Chad rushes down the stairs. Peeved I glare at him in annoyance, could he walk any louder? He smiles and grabs my cereal from my hand scarfing it down, my jaw drops as I watch this. He just ate my cereal! Chad tips the bowl up draining the milk, his Adams apple bobs up and down as he swallows. Then with a loud satisfied sigh he sets my bowl back into my outstretched hands and rubs his stomach. Looking from the bowl then to Chad I make a loud noise of distress. What the hell?

Chad smiles and rubs my head, “Thanks little bro.” Then he turns and scurries to the bathroom to brush his teeth. Scowling I put the bowl into the sink and make a mental note to sabotage his toothbrush later. Joining Chad in the bathroom to brush my teeth I begin to make conversation. “What’s going on?”

Chad seems to know exactly what I’m talking about, “I don’t know man, sounds like someone died doesn’t it?”

Squinting I think, my Moms parents both died when I was young, and my Dad’s parents he never knew and neither of them had siblings, so who could have died?

“I know what you’re thinking,” Chad says setting his toothbrush in the holder. “I’m wandering the same thing man, but I’m sure it won’t be long until we find out.” And with that he exits the bathroom grabbing his bag off the couch and heading out the door. I follow in his footsteps quickly gathering my things and heading out the door.

Once at school Sadie rushes over to my locker, and smiles, just smiles, she doesn’t say one word, she just stands there with that stupid grin on her face and stares at me. For a while I just ignore it throwing my books into my locker, hoping that when I turn around the idiotic expression will miraculously be gone. Alas when I turn to look at her it’s still plastered on her face. “For god’s sake what?” I question, slamming my locker shot.

Sadie bounces up and down happily, “guess what?”

“I already said what!” I growl bashing my head against the locker, “What more do you want from me?”

Her happy disposition isn’t at all affected by my disastrous mood, “Chad asked me out!” I stand there and just stare at her. She stares back an eyebrow slightly raised a smile on her face. With a sigh I lean back against my locker hiking my backpack up on my shoulder, and rubbing my eyes with my free hand. Finally I look up at her, “that’s what you were so excited to tell me?” She bites her bright pink lip nodding vigorously, “You were that excited that my dumbass of a brother asked you out?”

Her face falls as she stares at me then looks at the floor with a pout, “Caleb can’t you at least pretend to be happy for me?”

Damn it, why was I born with a heart? I wrap my arm around her shoulder and lead her to class, “Sadie, I am happy that you were asked out by my dumbass brother,” I say smiling at her. She grins again and giggles, kissing my cheek. “This kissing thing is going to have to stop if you want to date my brother though,” I comment as we enter our classroom. Throwing her back onto her desk and swinging into her seat Sadie raises a questioning eyebrow. “Because,” I continue, “Chad doesn’t know I’m gay, and he’ll think up the worst possible things.”