Chapter 9

Caleb

The next day when Jason and I walk into school I feel giddy with anticipation. I want to see Collin, before I would have been nervous to see Collin, I would have avoided it at all cost. Now that I know Collin likes me, it changes things a bit. I want to be around him and talk to him, and learn about him.

We meet Sadie at my locker and as soon as she comes over she smiles, “Okay spill, I want all the deets!”

Quickly I look up at Jason; he just stares down at me, and then looks away as if he’s searching the crowd for someone. Jason has been really quiet lately, and he wasn’t around me often if he could help it. I wonder why that is, I mean, I know I’m a snarky little bastard, but it’s just my personality I don’t mean to really insult, it just comes out like that sometimes. Maybe I said something I shouldn’t have without realizing it? Shaking my head I try not to think about it, what could I possibly have said? Let’s all just be honest here, I’m pretty damn near perfect. At least Collin thinks so.

Sadie just waits for me to talk, but looking from her to Jason I shake my head, “We’ll talk about it later, you know, maybe you can come over after school or something?” I hope.

Sadie grins, “Sure, I haven’t been over in a while, Chad keeps coming over to my house,” Her eyebrows scrunch together then soften, “My father has seemed to take a liking to him.”

Rolling my eyes I turn away, “I can’t imagine why.” Jason frowns at this and looks down at me again.

“Why is that, because he’s so much nicer then you?” My eyebrows furrow, oh so now Jason’s on Chad’s side huh? That’s fine he just chose the losing side of the war, because I always win.

“No because he’s an accident waiting to happen, I just hope you don’t wait around that long.” I smirk at Sadie; she rolls her eyes at me. “Oh stop being such a prick Caleb, Chad is fine!”

“Yeah if fine is tall stupid and ugly.” I retort happily.

Jason looks at me angrily, “Why don’t you show some respect to your older brother huh, he’s so nice to you and you treat him like crap.”

I roll my eyes, “Why don’t you slip into something more comfortable, like a coma!” the suggestion makes Jason frown and look away from me in anger, as he falls into an uncomfortable silence. Sadie slaps the back of my head in anger, “Jesus woman, control yourself!” I shout.

“You control yourself Caleb Mowery, no one is going to like you if you act like a prissy little bitch all the time!” that hurts for a second, but then I just shrug, the truth was bound to come out sometime. I knew Sadie was only going through a phase to when she said she wanted to be my friend, everybody did.  I was a phase, but maybe with Collin that would be different. Maybe he would want to be with me and stay with me, forever, or as long as he could. This made me frown for a moment as I thought about how unlikely that was to happen. Sadie took this as me frowning at her and not bothering to correct her I started my walk first period hearing Sadie say behind me.

“Dammit I think I made him mad.”

“Who the fuck cares, he does enough of that to everybody else around him, maybe it’s time he gets a taste of his own medicine.” Oh Jason, you just made yourself a very, very powerful enemy. Just you wait jackass I went easy on you till now, but that’s all going to change starting today. I officially dub thee my worst enemy. When I get to biology the class is chattering away, but per usual I just slip my hoodie up and stick my iPod in. I hadn’t done this in a while, not since before Jason came, he had seemed to distract me for a while, but now that I knew that he was just another asshole who was going through a phase I could care less about him. Speak of the devil. Jason came in and slouched into the seat next to me, but I stayed quiet not wanting to have anything to do with him. I was just dying for third period to come, that way I could be with Collin, and Jason could do whatever the hell he wanted without being stuck to the bottom of my shoe. The class went by pretty slowly; we didn’t really do much, except for take notes and watch a movie. This was good, because I honestly couldn’t handle having to figure out some stupid lab assignment with this idiot. Everything goes well up until the teacher decides to bug me about my iPod. Why the hell he decided to say anything about it now opposed to any other time in the whole fucking year I have no idea. All I know is he did it.