Chapter 16

Hello ladies and Gentleman, so I think this story will be at the most 20 chapters, I’m starting to get the plot for the next book all aligned, although it is still a little vague, but hopefully I’ll get more on it once I start to write it up, I already know who it is going to be about, but no, I will not say anything. Mwahahahah it’s because I’m evil, anyways I hope you enjoy chapter 16!

The time before lunch is short-lived and I dread the approaching break-up talk that I’m going to have to approach Collin with. What should I even say; I’ve never broken up with someone before. Normally a person would be scared that their ex would be weepy, and clingy or something right?

Not me.

The fear that Collin is going to have some sort of mental break down and throw punches at me, nearly has me paralyzed. Walking guardedly into the lunchroom, I search the crowded tables for Jason and Sadie. The Faces of people who I don’t know or just don’t care about riddle my vision before my eyes land on a waving hand that belongs to Sadie. Jason is sitting silently next to her watchfully dragging his eyes across the cafeteria bustle, before his eyes land on me and he smiles widely.

The smile reaches his deep brown eyes, and his whole appearance seems to brighten instantly. His body sits up slightly straighter, and his shoulders push back with an air of cockiness. His chest puffs out without him noticing, and it reminds me of biology class when the teacher had lectured on a male Love Birds preening their feathers to attract a female.

I jog over to where the pair of them are sitting, placing my bag down across from Jason and sliding onto the bench. “Hey!” I greet enthusiastically.

“Hey!” Jason echoes, staring at me with loving eyes, under the table I feel his foot slide over to mine, the tip of his shoe coming up to brush against my ankle. In turn I brush my foot against his ankle and soon we are playing a resilient game of footsie.

“Oh my gosh, you guys seriously, I’m still here, yeah hey Caleb it’s great to see you too, you want to give me some of that foot action?”  Sadie huffs dramatically.

“No he does not, that’s reserved for me sorry.” Jason responds cheerfully.

Sadie just frowns at the pair of us, and bites into a shiny red apple that had been sitting on the blue table top before looking at me and saying the one thing that I had been dreading all day long. “So, you’re breaking up with Collin right?”

Taking a strenuous gulp I nod, “Yeah, do you see him?”

Sadie perks her head higher above the crowd, gazing across the sea of teenage bodies, “Oh there he is, sitting next to Marcus and some of the other annoying lacrosse players!”

Nervously I look up at Jason, and he can see the worry in my eyes. His hand slips out from under the table and reaches across the blue surface clasping onto mine gently, running circles over my skin with the pad of his thumb. Flushing I look quickly around the lunchroom to see if anyone’s looking but realizing my familiar mistake I stop myself. Do I honestly care if someone is looking? No not really, and if Jason isn’t minding it then neither do I!

“Hey,” He murmurs gently, “Don’t worry, I won’t let him hurt you.” The sound of his voice makes me want to snuggle against him, but seeing as how there is a table between us, and we are sitting in the middle of the lunchroom the latter is not likely to happen.

Nodding I stand and pull my hand out of Jason’s taking a few deep breaths then giving them both a thumbs up before walking away towards the table of lacrosse boys. The few feet across the lunchroom that I have to walk across seems like an eternity, but eventually I find myself standing next to the group of boys.