30: like the old man said

BUCKY

"What's the drill?"

"This is the drill," Stark answers Romanoff, all while floating in his armor. "If Ultron gets a hand on the core, we lose."

The team gathered at the center of the city, the church, waiting for a warning of the final war that was bound to happen. Diane comes into my peripheral view, along with Barton and the twins. She stands not far ahead from me, maybe a couple of feet and my breathing becomes unsteady as my heart palpitates at the same time.

Ultron shows up in front of us, just outside the church, floating in the air as effortless as his plans.

"Is that the best you can do?!" Thor tries to provoke him.

Accepting the challenge, Ultron summons an army of robots on his cue. Steve eyes the god of thunder to the side, "You had to ask."

"This is the best I can do. All of you against all of me. How could you possibly hope to stop me?"

Each of us stood our ground in the outcome's confidence, but I still needed that assurance. I then find myself walking a few steps forward, closer to her.

My cold metal hand reaches outwards, my fingers subtly intertwining with hers. She doesn't flinch, question, nor look who could be holding her hand, she knew. I felt the warmth, her warmth, spread through the lifeless arm I had. Who knew that it could?

"Well, like the old man said," Tony speaks while he looks at Steve.

She inhales sharply, almost trying to hold back her tears that I caused. But I held her hand tighter, sending an unspoken understanding that it was okay. That we're okay.

"Together."

We let go of each other but it feels like we never did. The trace of her fingers in mine still lingered as all of us go forth to attack Ultron and his army on cue of the Hulk's scream. All while she stood by my side. Us fighting together against the world.

DIANE

We all stood in a circle to protect the core each robot was trying to reach for, but we wouldn't let them slip past us, not even by a hand.

I gained more confidence after Bucky held my hand. I couldn't do anything back then because I was so focused on Ultron, but I also couldn't bear myself to show him the tears forming in my eyes.

I really hope we do walk away from here.

I fight beside Wanda on my right and Bucky on my left. Wanda and I help each other out when squeezes a bot with the eerie movement of her fingers and sends it to me as I blast shards of ice towards its chest and head.

To my left, Bucky and Steve shoot and punch down every one of them, using the serum as their strength. One gets past Bucky's sight as it grabs him by his ankle and another two darts towards him, enough to catch him off guard. Immediately I throw another shard at two in the sky as Bucky kicks off and shoots the one grabbing his ankle.

We ended up back to back, attacking and defending from both sides. Wanda sends another to us to finish off, me freezing its whole anterior while Bucky destroys it with his metal arm by crushing it by its neck.

I see Ultron fly towards us in anger and the three of us immediately duck.

"Adams." He calls out my name. "You're annoying me."

"Same goes for you." I hiss back at him as he shoots out lasers from his eye.

I manage to dodge it, but it doesn't stop his mouth from running as he kept flying around, "Don't forget where you belong Adams. You and your wintry powers. You will always be HYDRA's creation. Your father's mistake."