00: the avengers

How would one react waking up more than seventy years later?

In a world so vast, so complex, you'd have thought it was out of time. It glowed in a wave of such vibrant colors. A clean and tranquil environment, made from man. Unlike the colorless warzone I had lived through, survived. A battlefield of screams, blood gushing red, and two desperate so-called lovers, who both lost each other through the affray. Yet the person that stood in front of me through the looking glass, seemed frozen and casted out from this land.

The same unoriginal brunette hair, its curls died down and thrown out such trendy looks. Her eyes that matched her locks remained constant. From her face to her feet, her complexion became dull and gray, almost soulless. The feeling of a touch of her skin was ice cold. Everything pieced together to how she felt about waking up without the warmth of his hand next to her. To even out and melt the darkness that quietly lived inside of her. Invading her mind like a parasite.

"Deep thoughts?"

I jump at the voice from behind me. There stood the famous Steve Rogers, crossing his arms, facing me with his friendly and national smile. To everyone, he was a hero. To me, he was more than that. He's a friend, a brother.

"Steve." I hesitate to say his name. It was like yesterday when I last saw him. Except this time, he was out of that red, blue, and white prideful uniform.

He walks closer and stops next to me, staring out into the same looking glass. "Feeling warmer?"

I push up the blue blanket that covered my whole body, chuckling at his irony. "Well, I'm not getting any colder that's for sure."

"Good thing your sarcasm stayed frozen with you." He says, extending the least of of smile.

I roll my eyes at him, "Not funny."

"Sorry," he sighs, "I'm just trying to make you feel a little better."

"Yeah, I know."

Silence took over us as we simply stared out through the improved aging of New York City in the far distance. We were surrounded by it. Towered by taller buildings and standing higher than others. I've been higher, but this was something new.

To the side, Steve reminisces with a smile, "Remember when we were kids, you took a hit for me during that fight I had with another kid who was two feet taller than me?"

I nod, finding myself slightly smirking at the thought, "You fought another one twice your size years later and your best friend had to come and save you," a tight squeeze forms in my chest, so strong when I didn't even speak his name. Steve doesn't seem to notice this, though, he himself silently thinking about him too, "Gosh you were such a troublemaker back then for a tiny boy."

"Hey, I may be five times my size before, but I'm still the same tiny Rogers you're talking–"

"–And your damn catchphrase–I can do this all day." I imitate his catchphrase with a deep voice, "I bet you still say that 'till today."

"I do not." He scoffs, denying my remark.

I keep going, "If you had a rematch with that boy I think he'd still win."

"Pfft, who said he won the first time?"

I look at him with my eyebrow slightly raised, "Why'd you think I took a hit for you then? I was trying to save you. He was obviously winning."