13: how we lost

1940s

The next day The Howling Commandos had another mission to do, but this time I was allowed to come and witness some of it for my job.

I wasn't sure what to do or what to expect and Bucky especially wasn't excited about it.

"I still don't think this is a good idea," he says.

Steve and I are sitting next to each other while Bucky sat across from us on one of the military transport vehicles with the rest of the soldiers. Every now and then we'd feel the vehicle swerve a little because of the snowfall and the ice on the ground. It didn't feel like the right time for any of us to be here.

"If anything you should be thankful, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for my job." I tease him.

He argues, "Your job could put you in greater danger than you already are. I can stay behind with you if you want, just tell me."

"Bucky, no. It's not like I'm gonna stand next to you, documenting everything while you shoot people."

"Even if you stayed behind, you're still at risk."

I cross my arms as I lean back on my seat, "Well, do you want me to go back now?"

"It's too late to go back."

"So what do you want me to do?"

He opens his mouth but nothing came out. I waited for an answer, but he couldn't give me anything. "Exactly." He sighs, feeling defeated as he rested his head against a handle. I get that he was worried, but what else could I do? This is my reason for being here.

Without saying a word, we exchange looks until we realize we were still sitting in front of everyone.

"Captain, are you sure those two aren't married?" One of the soldiers, Dum Dum Dugan, joked to Steve, who was laughing uncomfortably. At least I thought he was joking.

Both our eyes widened and immediately left each other's gazes, turning our heads to the soldier.

"We're not married." We say in unison.

He surrenders and backs off, the rest chuckle in response. Bucky looks away to the distance before others could notice his ears flushing red. Oh Buck, for someone charming you do get flustered easily.

The next few hours getting there seem to take forever. We were already far from the base and yet we still had more to go. Everyone had fallen asleep to store some energy, but Steve and I were the only ones awake.

"Aren't you tired?" I asked him.

He shook his head, "Ever since the serum was put in me, I feel like I have the need to stay up." He lowers his voice all of the sudden, "Is this how you feel, too?"

When I realize what he was referring to, I chuckled lightly and nodded my head, "Yeah, the first couple of years was traumatizing for me you could say." I glance at him and spot him staring at his hand while holding some sort of pocket compass with a picture of familiar face plastered on it.

I lean closer and raise a brow, "Is that Peggy?"

He shut it immediately as soon as I mentioned it and puts it back in his pocket. "It's just a compass."