23: the party & the uninvited guest

I walked down the stairs to the living room where the sound of loud chattering and drinks clanking could be heard from afar. I assume I was the last one who arrived at the party because of how long I took just to pick out a dress to wear. I'm not the dress kind of gal, or at least a fancy one. Surprisingly though, Nat offered me one the night before.

"Wow, look at you Diane." Nat's voiced entered as I reached the end of the stairs. "I told you you'd look good in that." She was stood inside the bar alone, displayed with her hair bobbed up and white and black dress that suited her figure well.

I walk over to her and sat across at one of the stools. "Yeah I'm not so sure about that." I blush, "But look at you, trying to impress a certain someone?"

She scoffed, "Just myself."

I roll my eyes and laugh, knowing that that was a lie. "What are you doing in there instead of partying like the rest of the gang?" I ask her as she leaves her spot and leans against the counter next to me, taking a drink with her.

"Fella done me wrong." She sighs and shakes her head.

I raise a brow, "Bruce? Really?"

"It isn't easy you know, it never is." As she takes a sip of her drink, she sets her eyes across the room, beyond all the occupied guests and onto Tony, Clint, and Bruce huddled together. She clicks her tongue, "Look at those three, like the Three Musketeers or something." I chuckle in response, admiring the same view. "Hey, what about your boyfriend, I haven't seen him yet."

"Oh he's not my boyfriend."

"Yeah right," she says as I continue to deny it.

"He's not!"

"From the way I see it, he's totally smitten by you. But the two of you just keep denying it." She says.

"S-Smitten? Denying? I-I'm... I mean we're not... we can't-" I try to hide my stutter, but I was caught off guard by her supposed observation.

"Stop it. It's even more obvious of you say that."

I release a melancholy sigh, giving in to her, "Like you said, it isn't easy."

She shrugs and finsihes the last drop in her champagne glass, "Life isn't easy in general, kid. But we can't just sit and wait around for life to tells what to do, we have to do it ourselves. It doesn't matter whether this happened to the both of you or not, what matters is you two still have feelings for each other and everyone can see it except for the two of you."

I wish it was easy as she said it, life is complicated. But why couldn't it just for once be on my side?

"Why don't you just go for it?"

She squints her eyes and crosses her arms, impressed as I smirk in return. "Touche."

"Finally! The best Avengers are here, after me of course." Thor walks towards us, arms raised with drinks in his hands. "Please, have a drink." Thor offered me one of his drinks. I was about to accept it, but Natasha snatches it away from me, making me and Thor whine like children.

"I refuse to let you get drunk tonight." she said.

I stomp my feet, "Aw come on Nat, give me a break! I haven't drank in years!"

Thor attempts to reason with the boss, "Wait, she's similar Steve remember? They both have the serum in their blood which means they can't get drunk so what's the problem?"

I turn to Thor about to correct him that I actually can get drunk, but my mind clicked. "That's right! I can't get drunk at all so, no worries!" I gave her a wide, cheeky grin.