04: first regret

1940s

"So what do you say?"

Upon hearing those words, I had to make a decision that could possibly change my life. For better or for worse. All I had to do was take his hand that he was holding out in front of me and that would be it.

"Just so we're clear if I go with you, not only do I get to sit in the passenger seat, but a free ride home as well?"

The corner of his eyes crinkles, "You don't have to pay a dime."

"Deal."

With that, I take his hand and he drags me out of the sidewalk and back inside the fair. He's running as he drags me by the wrist, it's like he's in a rush.

"Where are we going?" I laugh as I ask.

He glances back, "Over there."

He points towards the big metal globe in the center of the fair. Beneath it was a long escalated platform where people could go, circling under it. We go all the way up until it we reach the terrace and go to the edge where there were railings we could hold on to. I admire the distance with all the bright lights and fireworks filling the night sky. It was truly a beauty. I've never felt so free.

"Good thing I didn't leave, otherwise I would've missed this view," I say.

Bucky leans his elbows on the railing and faces his body to me, "You're welcome."

I roll my eyes in reply, "Thank you, I guess." I face back to the distance and stretch out my arms on the railing as I take deep breaths in and out. At last, all the tension is gone. I should be worried about Steve right now, I remember that he might still be here. Knowing him, trouble is always awaiting him just around the corner. But is it bad that I don't feel the need to go? or want to go? I glance at Bucky who was also staring into the horizon. If I told him about it, would he want to leave? So, is it better if don't say anything at all?

"Is there something on my face?" Bucky's voice interrupted my thoughts. I guess I didn't notice I was still looking at him. His brows are raised, waiting for me to answer.

I blink and shake my head, "No no, nothing." I'm still debating whether I should ask him. I think it over one more time. Steve may be weak, but he can handle himself. So in the end, I don't tell him.

When I chose to keep quiet, Bucky's gaze is still on me. "Tell me something about you." He says, "Other than what you've told me so far or what I know."

I shrug, "There's really not much else interesting about me."

"Really? So that means I know everything about you?"

I laugh nervously, "Not necessarily," I turn the question around to avoid him asking more, "What about you? You seem to know a couple of things about me, yet I only know little about you. That's a little unfair, don't you think?"

He chuckles and puts his hands up, "Alright, point taken." Then he leans on his elbows, "Uh let's see...what do you wanna know?"

I shrug, "Favorite color, food, etc."

"Probably black or red, anything, and etc." He responds immediately.

I take a second to think. "Uhm, when's your birthday?"