01. his name

The 1940s

"Are you sure this is a good idea?"

I look back at my tiny friend, who's only a couple of inches shorter than me. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, do you think it's a good idea to bring me along with you? Your date is kind of a jerk, just saying. My friend told me that no lady should ever fall for that guy."

I turn my head away from him and continue searching around for Harry, the "jerk". "He is not a jerk. I heard he's just a little lively, and popular with the ladies, and I heard he doesn't go on dates. But then, he asked me out for a date and I accepted, maybe he likes me. And maybe I'll like him too."

Steve sighs, "Yeah, but, why am I here?"

"I thought you said you wanted to come."

"Not with you on your date. I meant at the same place, with my other friend, who was supposed to meet us there thirty minutes ago."

I finally face Steve, "First of all, you don't have a car, and, your friend, whatever his name is, has to wait a little longer. Harry is not here yet. He's supposed to pick me up in his car." I had realized what I just said and quickly corrected myself, "I mean pick us up."

Steve's mouth dropped and his eyes widened. "You didn't even tell him?"

I hesitantly shook my head.

He sighs and gives me a look, "Unbelievable."

"I didn't have time to, okay?" I tried defending myself, but it was the truth.

He gave up trying to argue back, as he always does. Steve is a good man, he is a better person than I am, even though people hate that about him to the point where they use his size as an advantage and beat him down. But the only thing I am better at than him is winning arguments. He wouldn't even dare to continue.

Finally, down the street, I see Harry's car coming and pull up next to us. He has his windows and hood down and his free arm resting on the side of the car.

"Good afternoon madam, hop in." he eyes me up and down and flashes me with a smile. He looks over next to me, where Steve was. He raises an eyebrow, "Is this your little brother?"

I let out a laugh, but try to hold it in. That's the funniest thing I've heard all day. "Harry, this is my best friend, Steve."

Steve walks up to his car and offers a hand, but Harry just stares at it. "So?"

"I was wondering if he could just catch a ride with us to the bar, he's going to meet his friend there. Then it'll just be the two of us, I promise." I smile to try to convince him.

He stares at us for a while, especially at Steve. I started to get nervous when he was taking too long to respond. Saving Steve from another beating is the last thing I would want to do. Not because I didn't want to, but if he did, it'll add another bruise to his body. I can't bear to see him like that.

He finally responds, "Fine, but this won't happen again." He points at Steve.

I clap my hands in excitement and push Steve into the car. He sat at the back while I sat in the front next to Harry. As we drive, he smoothly lays his free hand on mine, making our hands intertwine. It feels funny holding his hand, but I give it a chance anyway.

.

The bar is packed tonight. So many people are outside hanging out and drinking. I'm thinking it over now whether it was a good idea to let Harry decide on the location. We all get out of the car and enter the bar. Harry is holding me by the waist and I do the same to him. It feels a little weird doing that with him. I've never even spoken to him until a couple of days ago when he asked me out. But I go along with it anyway.