05: the missing soldier & the super soldier

1940s

Ever since that incident many weeks ago, everything has been quiet and steady. I'm back to my usual: work. I haven't seen Steve for quite a while either, which makes me worried. He hasn't been to his house. No contact or anything. The last time I saw him was when he was outside that recruitment station.

Not to mention I haven't received a single letter from Bucky. Not one.

What did I expect? Our goodbyes were brief, which made it even worse. Though that was probably my fault, so I'd understand if he won't write letters to me anymore. In the long time that's pass by, I've put it behind me and moved on. Or at least, I set it aside from my life for now. Because recently, my job has put me in a tough position.

For a while now, there's this man who goes by Captain America that's been the topic of everyone's conversation. A superstar who puts on performances for the public, "America's New Hope", and I was ordered to go and interview him in person. I don't know who he is and I had no clue how I was going to this, but for the sake of my job, I can't take it personally.

So now, I've just landed in Italy, where he's currently going to perform in front of other soldiers. I'm supposed to meet him backstage before he performs, but I can't seem to find him. I walk around, looking lost while holding a pen and a notebook in my arms. With the place being crowded and everyone moving around, it's not easy trying to find just one person. Eventually, I exit backstage and come across a woman who was standing just outside. She was tall and pretty in all uniform, and I could hear her talking in an elegant accent.

I tap her shoulder, "Excuse me?"

She turns around and dismisses the person she was talking to. She turns her body facing me, "Can I help you?"

"Yes, I'm looking for the uhm, Captain America?" It was weird to call the person by his stage name, I should have done my research beforehand to find out his real name. "I'm here to write about him."

"Ah yes, Colonel Phillips told me you'd be coming today." She says, "You just missed Rogers, he's on stage right now."

I tried to process what she said at first, but then I raise my brow, "He is?"

She nods in reply.

I can't believe I spent all this time looking for him when he was already on stage. I feel stupid for not even noticing.

She tells me to wait for him to finish and I go back inside. I go to where I could see the stage and when I see him, people were throwing things at him.

This was not the Captain America I was expecting.

He retreats down the steps and heads backstage. It was my chance to introduce myself. I rush to his direction and stop in front of him. I catch his attention immediately because even though he was wearing a mask, I could tell he looked shocked to see me.

"You must be Captain America," I say, straightforward. "I'm Diane Adams, the writer for your article." I reach out my hand in front of him, waiting for him to shake it.

He doesn't. Instead, he stands still, like he's seen a ghost. I urge my hand and wait a little longer, but he still doesn't take it.

"Is there something wrong?" I ask him.

His expression finally recedes and has now turned into something else. I could see the fear and disappointment in his eyes.