12: a little hope

1945

1945

"So Diane, how are things with you and Sergeant Barnes?"

I look up from my journal, choking on air

She chuckles, looking at me with dear eyes. She hands me a cup of water and I reach for it from across the table. 

"Thank you." 

She waits for me to put the cup down, "So, what's going on?"

"What do you mean? Nothing's going on." I laugh nervously.

She gives me a look, "Oh come on, anyone can see it." I raise a brow at her and she continues, noticing I had no idea what she was talking about, "It's been a week since he came back and all he's been doing is staring at you and trying to hang around you all the time. Everyone can see it."

I blush but I cover my cheeks with my journal, "Well, I'm being honest. Nothing's happening between us." She stares me down, making me gulp, "We just kissed, but that was it."

Her jaw drops and she leans in excitingly. I never thought an agent would be this excited to hear about things like this. Peggy always seems to have a scary and quiet persona, but I was seeing the opposite. 

"Okay," she gestures her hand to keep going, "tell me more."

I drop my book and the table and sigh, "Besides me being half-drunk that night, that's it. It's been a week but it feels like it never even happened."

She leans back and crosses her arms, "Oh right, the Howling Commandos. Well, I can't blame him, they've been jumping around everywhere trying to eliminate all of the HYDRA bases they can find and come back exhausted."

"And they leave the next morning. It's a cycle." I say, continuing. "All I do is stay here, wait for them to come back and write whatever I get. I'm afraid it's going to stay that way until this is all over."

"That makes two of us," she mumbles.

A voice interrupts us, calling for Peggy. She looks at me apologetically, "I have to go, sorry." I nod my head in understanding and she stands up to leave. I'm left alone at the lunch table. I knew no one else at the base, only Peggy, Steve, and Bucky. With everyone gone, I had nothing else to do except trap myself in my tent and write. 

I go back to my tent and on the way, I look up at the afternoon sky, the sun would set soon. Another day spent with him not here. Who am I kidding? How could I possibly think things could work out between us? It shouldn't. Not with someone like me. At the same time, another voice in my head tells me to have a little hope for once in my life. 

Before I could enter my tent, I hear the sound of a car's engine roar. It was coming from the entrance. One after another, cars start coming in, and it could only mean one thing. They're back.