20: a soldier's home

"How's she doing?"

Natasha sighs through the door, "I'm sure she'll be fine."

"Is there anything we can do?"

I walk towards the door of my room, opening abruptly and making the two Avengers jump. I look at all of them in the eye, "I can hear you, you know."

Tony plays it off, "Hey Ice Queen! Care for some ice cream?"

Natasha nudges his arm, "She should fight her feelings out, not drown it with ice cream." She then turns to me, "What do you say D? Wanna head to the training room to let some steam out?"

"Who chooses sweat over sugar?" 

"I do."

"Yeah, and only you Romanoff." Tony scoffs.

Nat crosses her arms, "What is that supposed to mean?"

I deliver a small smile as I interrupt them, "Thank you guys, but I'm okay. I can handle myself." I squeezed past them, making my way to the kitchen as I see both of them tailing behind me from the corner of my eye. At first, I let it slide, but after a while it became annoying. As I close the refrigerator, after ending up getting nothing, I snap back at them, "Can all of you please give me some space?" 

They step back simultaneously as I roll my eyes in frustration, leaving the room. Of course, there had to be one person who continued to follow me.

"Diane wait up!" Nat calls out. 

I enter the elevator first, pushing the buttons as quickly as possible so I could lose her. But even when the doors were about to close, she opens them back with one push and steps in. 

"Seriously?"

She settles next to me, "I have to go down too."

"Sure you do." I mumble.

She nudges my arm, "Hey, I care about you a lot. I'm here for you. Remember that."

"I know. I just don't want anyone doing anything for me, I don't want to be more of a burden."

"You're anything but a burden. You're a part of our family now, Diane. We all got each other's backs, no matter what." She continues as the elevator door opens to the lab floor.

It lifted my spirits to hear that. They really are the only family I have now, I should be more grateful to have given a second chance to live. I'm sure it would be easier if Steve were here. He suddenly just vanished as soon as he got me home, said he had some business to do. That was three days ago.

"Natasha! Welcome!" A deep and loud voice greeted us.

I looked straight ahead to see a tall man with long blonde locks, perhaps even longer than mine, wearing a foreign armor and a red cape. And his biceps... I would be lying if I said my mouth didn't drop. He stood next to Bruce, who was studying some hologram.

"Hey, Thor." Nat greeted as she turned to me, "I want you to meet someone. This is Diane, Diane this is Thor."

He walks closer to me with a huge smile plastered on his face as he offered his hand. "Pleasure to finally meet you Diane. I've heard stories about you, very fascinating indeed. I'm just glad the Captain has finally found his friend."

I shook his hand, still in awe of him. "Y-You too." I eyed him from head to toe once more, "Uhm, what's with the costume?"

"Thor is not from earth. He's from a different realm." Nat says.

"Realm?" I scoff, "Are you joking?"

"No he isn't." Thor answers for her, "I come from a place called Asgard where my father is the king and I am an heir to the throne, but I'm also the god of thunder. I'm more than a thousand years old and I went here to earth to take my brother, the god of Mischief, back home because he destroyed the city of New York by opening a portal from space that sent in evil aliens by using  the stone in his scepter. So we, the Avengers, saved the day by fighting, Natasha closing the portal and Banner here knocking out my brother. So I took him back to Asgard, where he's able to receive his punishment. But he's dead now. So then I returned here, back to rejoin my fellow Avengers family. Any questions?"