Twenty-Nine

Charlie

"Good morning Dad... and Miss. Smith?"

I wasn't expecting to see our neighbor at my house early morning while leaving for school. But here she was, chatting with my father as he was sipping his morning cup of coffee.

They were standing on either side of the kitchen counter and got startled when I announced my presence. 

"Oh hey, Charlie," Miss. Smith smiled at me as I now noticed that she was holding a basket of something. "Good morning. I was just here to drop off these mangoes. One of my uncles is road-tripping in India and send a whole crate to us."

I checked the basket and saw some delicious-looking mangoes inside. They were mostly ripe and looked ready to eat.

"Oh wow," I said to her. "Thank you so much. I haven't tasted mangoes in such a long time and all of these looks so delicious."

"That's what I was saying," Dad replied as he kept his cup in the sink. "And they are from India, which is like, the best place to grow mangoes. So really, thank you."

Miss. Smith and Dad smiled at each other, as I took the basket and kept it aside. There were like a dozen of mangoes, so maybe I could make cookies too.

"I will leave now." She informed us. "First, I need to drop Alice at school and then go to work myself."

"Okay, I'm also getting late for work so I'll come too," Dad replied, then turned towards me. "Hey kid, I have prepared pancakes for you so don't go to school without eating. Remember it's your turn to do the laundry, water the plants, and you also promised to clean your room. Get all that done after school.  Before I forget to ask, you must be going to that party right? When is it again?"

I was nodding along to everything and stopped at the last question.

"Party?" I replied, confused. "It's on Saturday, but how...?"

"Great," Dad replied as he checked his watch. "I'll prepare dinner tonight, see you then. Bye."

Miss. Smith and Dad both left the house, chatting about something. Meanwhile, I was still in the kitchen thinking about how the fuck my Dad knows about the party.

Because I was certain that I never mentioned any party to him.

With that question in my mind, I ate my breakfast and drove myself to school.

'Find Your Drink' party was planned for Saturday night at Beecher's house because his parents were out of town. It was a party for seniors mostly, something about finding their drinks before they go off to college. Most people were just happy about having a party that they could attend and get shitfaced. 

Personally, I don't understand high school parties much. It's acceptable to have a party after we win a match or if it's the last day of vacation. But this party where seniors are just going to try different drinks to find out what they prefer, is actually kind of crap. However traditions are traditions, so I'm just going to fully witness them.

Everyone in school was talking about the party. The sports teams were planning it, so it was bound to be fun. Luke and others were pretty excited in the morning, so it surprised me when I saw Luke sporting a dejected look during the break.

"What happened to you?" I asked him as he was entering the students' lounge. Diego and Jessica were in there too, exploring each other's mouths.

"That party is canceled now." He said and jabbed the nearby locker in anger. Everyone in the hallway gave him looks, but no one had the courage to approach him while he was fuming.