Twenty-Seven

Charlie

When Alex told me that Zach had asked him to bunk with us tonight, I would've definitely kissed Zach in happiness.

Not really though, I just wish to kiss the person's lips that stood in front of me.

But you got what I mean, right?

As Alex took a bite of my weed-free cookie, the one I decided to bring from the batch made for Miss. Smith, I couldn't help but notice how guarded he looked. After knowing now what Winston had done to him, it was clear that he was under stress. Even if he was doing a good job of hiding his feelings, I could still see how much hurt he actually was.

I wanted to comfort him, to tell him that Winston never deserved him. To assure him that he would find someone else who deserved a good-hearted person like him. To tell him that what he was looking for maybe is just in front of him.

But I also knew my boundaries. This wasn't the time to force myself on someone who just got out of a bad relationship, and for now, I am content to just be his friend. 

I would happily forward my hand of friendship if it means that he would feel safe with me.

"You know," Alex said, finishing the cookie with a small and satisfied smile on his face. "Zach had talked about your cookies before, and they are actually tasty."

"I know right!" Zach decided to come from wherever he disappeared to and got one cookie for himself out of the tiffin Alex held.  "This is the only reason why I keep Charlie around."

"That's... nice to know." I said as Zach started eating his cookie.

Zach was clearly intoxicated, again, which didn't surprise me. Last night too he had been drinking from a flask before he fell asleep, and tonight he had already finished getting wasted.

"So, my friends," He said, once he had done eating. "Tonight is gonna be a night that you will never forget."

But after about fifteen minutes, Zach was the first one to fall asleep.  He was snuggled up in his sleeping bag, snoring lightly. He had taken up most of the left side of the tent, so the remaining area had to be shared by both me and Alex.

Which I didn't mind because then Alex would have to shift closer to me.

"So Zach meant this?" Alex asked after he came back from brushing his teeth. "When he said that we would never forget tonight?"

I chuckled at him and he rolled his eyes when Zach suddenly snored loudly. It was as if he heard what Alex said and got offended.

"Do you think our sleeping bags would adjust here?" Alex asked, looking around the remaining space. "I shouldn't have listened to this idiot. Sorry for taking space."

"Are you seriously apologizing for existing?" I joked. "Just chill. There's no need to say sorry. We both could adjust here."

He sighed loudly, then pulled his sleeping bag beside Zach. Then I pushed mine to the other side of the tent, where it perfectly adjusted.

"See!" I exclaimed, and he lightly laughed at me.

I closed the tent zipper and got in my sleeping bag. Alex also got settled in his', and we just laid there in comfortable silence. 

The slight rustle of trees due to the cold wind was audible in the silence of the forest.  Everyone around us was probably asleep now as I could hear no one.

Except for some constant snoring from Zach.

I could also hear Alex's steady breathing just beside me, but I couldn't sense if he was awake or had fallen asleep.