Twenty

Alex

"Justin told me that Clay is still seeing their family therapist." Zach informed me, as we walked towards our next classes. "He started again after Monty's death. But it seems like it isn't working."

It has been more than a week since the Valentine's dance and Clay getting suspended. Diego, the guy Jessica was busy kissing that night, also got suspended as he was the mastermind behind that crazy prank. Even if everyone knew most of the football team helped him, there was no proof against them.

Besides, their plan of freaking Clay out worked very well. He started acting crazy since they started calling him at odd hours, and then at the dance he freaked over a dummy. This would've been enough for them to know that Clay knows something, and I am certain they are not going to stop.

"We need to keep an eye on Clay." I sighed, remembering this wouldn't be the first time. "Can't you like, talk to the football team? I mean, you were their captain for some months."

"Dude, you really think they would listen to me?" He chuckled at my question. "I'm pretty sure they don't even listen to Charlie these days."

To be honest, I don't even think Charlie is trying to talk to his team. I've seen him hanging around with Monty's sister Estela, and it worries me that at one time or another he is going to spill everything to her.

The guy has a good heart, no doubt, maybe that's why he hangs out with Estela out of guilt after what he did to Monty.

"I'm not so sure about Charlie anymore." I voiced my thoughts to Zach who gave me a confused look. "He hangs out with Monty's sister all the time. Maybe he knew what the football team was planning all the time but still decided to stay quiet."

It was a long shot, I know, but maybe the team bullied Charlie into staying quiet.

"Man, no." Zach shaked his head in disbelief. "If the truth comes out anytime, I'm sure Charlie will have nothing to do with it. The guy may seem confused sometimes, but he's smart enough to know what not to do. Why do you think our Coach made him the captain?"

Another example of football players supporting their teammates.

"You trust me, don't you?" He asked, at which I nodded with uncertainty clear on my face. "C'mon! You don't?"

"Well, I trusted the old Zach," I replied, at which he made an annoying noise. "Because he used to care about things."

He gave me a look as we stopped infront of his Environmental Studies class. I had gym next, which I will probably spend overthinking about everything since Clay wasn't there to keep me company.

"I trust Charlie, so you should to." Zach shrugged. "Besides he is a sophomore, let him enjoy his high school years. Remember how we had fun in our sophomore year?"

"Oh I do." I sarcastically replied. "I was busy ruining Hannah Baker's life in sophomore year."

Zach turned away from me, a hint of sadness visible in his eyes as he aimlessly stared at the people passing by. I regretted mentioning her name even after knowing what had happened between them. 

Even if no one among us talks about Hannah anymore, she was the one who brought us all together. Me and Zach wouldn't even be good friends if it wasn't for her. 

"If you say Charlie is fine," I replied, as my phone pinged in my pocket. "Then okay. I trust him."

"Good." He nodded. "See you later."

I got my phone out as he went inside his class and I continued my way towards the gym.

Winston 🙂
Meet me in the library.