Thirty-Two

Alex

Coming here tonight was a mistake.

The moment I stepped out of Zach's Audi and looked around at all the people who were here, most of them half drunk, I knew I had missed a chance of having a quiet Saturday evening at home by myself.

But going back wasn't an option anymore, seeing that I came in Zach's car and the idiot was already making his way inside the party house.

So I decided the only way not to interact with people would be to hide, and that's what I did.

After roaming around the big crowded house in search for an empty room to hangout in, I found a small secluded area with a TV and sofa. It was closeted off by a curtain which if you asked me, was perfect.

It's A Wonderful Life was on, and I made myself comfortable on the sofa wondering how can people think this life is wonderful in anyway.

That's how I spent first half hour after arriving at the party.

Apart from a giggling couple, no one disturbed me there. I could hear the party going downstairs, and for a while I was all alone with my thoughts.

But then surprisingly, a certain quarterback joined me.

"Hey!"

It was Charlie, clearly surprised to see me.

"You, uh, made it." He pointed out as I nodded. Looking around the room, he sighed loudly. "What are you doing in here?"

"I'm hiding." I answered truthfully and chuckled to myself. "I'm not really sure why I came."

"Yeah, I hear you." He closed the curtains behind him and turned towards me again. "Uh... do you want a cookie?"

Wait...what?

I know Charlie's cookies are worth eating anytime, but bringing them to a drink party?

"You seriously brought cookies to a Find Your Drink party?" I asked as he came and sat beside me on the sofa.

"Well, these are special cookies."

Huh? Oh.

"Oh, shit." I said and took one out of the bag of cookies. "I didn't know you were a stoner."

"I prefer the term 'cannabisseur.'" He replied seriously, then lightly chuckled as I took a bite of the cookie.

It looked the same as the one I ate on the camping trip, and I would've never known that it contained marijuana if Charlie haven't informed me.

"These are actually really good cookies." I said after devouring the first cookie and nodding along. He has also started eating one as I glanced at him. "And they don't stink. You're like a baker or something."

"I, uh, had to learn how."

I looked at him in confusion as his tone has changed when he said that.

"My mom died when I was 13." Charlie replied and I continued looking at him, now wide-eyed. "So, uh, me and my dad, we had to figure it all out."

God, how could I have not known?

Charlie has been my friend for months now and I didn't even knew the major thing in his life. This just proves how much of a shitty person I am.

"Oh, shit. I'm sorry." I said in concern as he glanced at me. 

"It's all good." He continued, while looking at the cookie in his hand. "I, uh, actually learned how to make these to help my mom through chemo."