One

Charlie

"St. George, my man! Where are you?" Luke's voice asked me as soon as I picked up his call.

After helping my friends cover up a murder, I knew how to lie without stuttering or being nervous.

"Just...you know? Gardening." I replied, as I saw Mrs. Down checking on some flowers in her own back yard.

Wait...do jocks even do gardening? Well, I guess I haven't learned lying that much yet.

"Dude, are you okay?" Luke asked me, chukling to himself. "When did you started liking gardening? And in this cold weather too?"

I have the same question.

"Well," I started saying, as Mrs. Down spotted me at her window and waved at me. "My dad wanted me to just look over our garden. To see which flowers are still... blossoming."

"Well, good luck with that." He replied. "All the boys are meeting at Torres' house in one hour. Hope to see you there."

"Yeah, of course." I said, confused by this sudden invitation. "See you then."

Luke cut the call, and I began thinking about when exactly the whole football team started keeping secrets from me.

Oh yeah, when Monty died and also got framed for Bryce's murder.

Monty treated everyone as his brother when in the team. He was always there when someone needed him to be. That's the reason no one on the team believes that he would have killed Bryce Walker.

And to think, I was one of his brothers once. Well, I sure broke his trust by planting that tape in his locker.

I never liked lying. My mom used to say that a lie was never a solution to any problem.

But, in my defence, I was lying to protect my friends.

"Charlie?"

I turned around to see Alex and Tyler as they had opened Tyler's door to check where I went.

Alex Standall and Tyler Down, the two people that I've been spending time with for the past few weeks.

Actually, everyone has been spending time with Tyler. We all wanted him to get better after the trauma he went through.

The trauma Monty put him through.

But in the recent weeks, I've seen him improving. He voices his opinions on things, and doesn't look scared as I had seen him when I joined the school.

Alex Standall was a different person, altogether. He has been a great friend to Tyler, hanging out with him more than the others.

But I'm pretty sure it's because our other friend, Zach Dempsey, haven't been around much.

Alex is a nice person. As I've heard from Tyler (I maybe asked him about Alex), he went through a lot after Hannah Baker's tapes were passed around.

That's why he tried to kill himself.

"Charlie!"

Tyler snapped me out of my thoughts, waving his hand infront of my face.

"Yeah, sorry." I said, embarrassed that I was thinking about Alex, again. "I was just thinking about Christmas."

"Okay." Tyler said, slowly wondering what's wrong with me. "I was asking who were you talking to."

"Oh, it was just Luke." I replied, giving both of them a smile. "Informing me that all the boys gonna hangout in a hour."