Thirty-Three

Charlie

Remember the time I casually wished that I should never get a call regarding Zach being in a car accident?

Well, I didn't get the call.

But Alex did, and that is why we were now entering through the hospital doors at 11pm on a Saturday night.

When Mr. Standall called and informed his son about Zach being in an accident, Alex stood up, grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the room.

After coming downstairs in the party, he finally told me about our friend. He also said that we needed to go to the hospital and I nodded at first, but then excused myself to go the bathroom.

There I splashed my face atleast five times with ice-cold water to get my head cleared.

If I was going to drive a car, I needed a  clear head.

After making sure of that, I went towards my car where Alex was waiting and then drove ourselves here.

Did I also mention that this was the first time in three years that I'm visiting a hospital?

No? Okay.

I stopped in the entrance as Alex continued walking towards the front desk.

Everything was calm around me. It didn't feel like sick people would be dying on the upper floors and their families would be crying in sadness.

Yeah, I hated hospitals.

"Charlie?"

My eyes snapped towards Alex, as he gave me a confused look. I must've looked weird to him, still standing at the entrance and lost in my own thoughts.

"Are you okay?" He asked me, coming closer and looking at me. "Zach is on the second floor, c'mon."

He started walking towards the lift and I slowly, but still reluctantly followed.

I could feel Alex glancing at me for the whole of our lift journey. Meanwhile, I kept staring at my sneakers which looked quite interesting to me at this moment.

When we got off on the second floor, I noticed Mr. Standall and Mrs. Dempsey standing towards the end of one hall. The Sheriff was present too and they looked fed up by each other.

We made our way towards them, and we caught Mrs. Dempsey's irritated voice.

"...talk to you without a lawyer. So you can leave now. Our lawyer will contact you."

She was about to go in the room behind her, but then noticed us arriving.

"Alex." Mrs. Dempsey acknowledged him and came over to talk. "Zach had told me that he was going to stay at your house tonight. Can you explain then how he ended up in a hospital?"

Alex stood still, looking down guiltily at his feet.

"Actually Mrs. Dempsey," I started saying, as she glanced at me. "It was the football team's fault. We made a last minute plan to hang out and ended up having some drinks."

"I don't believe you." She stated, crossing her arms. "How can you boys let him leave in his car when he was so much intoxicated? I expected better from you two."

Mrs. Dempsey glared at both of us for a moment and then turned around to go back inside the room.

Once she was out of sight, both Sheriff and Mr. Standall sighed loudly in relief.

"Hey, kids." Mr. Standall greeted us, as Sheriff leaves to attend a call. "I'm glad you were wise enough to not get drunk tonight."

Well, thanks Mr. Standall, we were just busy getting high.