Thirteen

Charlie

Our school won the game.

It was an easy win for us, the opponents were kind of slacking during the play and coach Kerba noted all their weak points. Diego and the team did a good job of using all this points against them.

Estela and I watched the whole match sitting just behind the team after they requested us to. We had a good view of the whole match, but my mind kept wandering to someone who sat somewhat far to the right side in the middle row.

Much to my annoyance, Alex and Winston have arrived at the game together. Justin went to talk to him about Zach, but Alex also didn't had any idea where Zach might be. Justin and Alex were the two closest people to Zach, so if they don't know anything about him then maybe we should worry.

Tyler had been busy the whole game, capturing shots from each angle, which left Alex and Winston to hung out together the whole game. I tried to not think of them sitting together, but like a weird creep I kept glancing at them every once in a while.

Thankfully, neither Alex nor Estela noticed this but I maybe caught Winston's eyes quite some times.

The first time I gave him an innocent smile, but the next time our eyes met I just awkwardly tried to not make it obvious that I was looking at them and just tried to act like I was searching for someone else.

Aside from me being a complete jealous person, I actually enjoyed the game with Estela. She was a nice person to hang with, we cracked jokes and commented on various topics going around. And due to this we both also had a creepy observer of our own.

Betty had been full-on glaring at both of us the whole time she wasn't performing any routines with the cheerleaders. I'm pretty sure everyone noticed this, because the guys commented on her looks once in a while.

"Wow, the girl seems serious about you." Luke commented, as we were about half way through the game. Betty had given Estela a very nasty look when she passed by which made me squirm in my seat too.

"I heard she had warned the other cheerleaders to not even go near St. George anytime." Beecher informed, then smirked at me. "I would love to see two chicks fighting over you, if one of them happens to be Betty. That girl has a body to..."

"Don't finish that sentence." Estela interrupted, giving him a look. "First of all, you shouldn't speak of her like that. Secondly, this is Charlie's matter and none of you has the right to poke your noses in this."

Beecher kept quiet, as I gave a thankful smile to Estela.

It was the end of discussion there, but to my luck it wasn't the end for the evening.

The victory party was going to be at Luke's place, and I had already agreed to stop by. Estela declined Diego's offer to the party, so I needed to drop her off home first.

"If that's not a problem." She said thanking me, then glanced at someone behind me. "I'm going to wait by your car outside. All the best, you're going to need it."

Before I could ask what she means, Estela had already reached the exit of the gym in a blink. I turned towards the guys who were packing things up a minute ago, but they too had moved far away from the spot.

"You downgraded a bit much, don't you think?"

I should've guessed.

Even before turning around to face her, I could actually feel Betty's anger radiating. And it was all towards me.

"Hi, Betty." I greeted her with an innocent smile but the angry glare she was giving me wasn't wavering.

"What are you all looking at?" She snapped at the jocks who were standing nearby and hoping to listen to our conversation. "Don't you have a party to get to?"

They all smirked at us, but still made their way out of the gym.

Not many people were in the gym now, most students already went home or to the party. The cheerleaders were on the other side of the gym so there was no chance they will listen to what Betty had to say.

"Tell me something," Betty turned towards me. "How did she managed to get you downgrade your choice? Did she used the my-dead-brother-was-a-rapist-but-I-am-innocent-and-lonely card? Because I couldn't think of any other reason you will hang out with such a freak."

I stared at Betty in disbelief.

How can someone say that?

"Oh wait," She continued. "Maybe you all guys are just pitying her! That could be the reason. Because..."

"Or we all actually are friends with her." I interrupted her, because it was becoming unbearable for me. "You should consider that too. She is a nice person, and a good friend to hang with."

Unlike you.

"Do I look like an idiot to you?" She asked, crossing her arms in front of her. "Don't you see what that freak is doing? She is trying to use her brother's death to get near you. First she joins HO to look like an innocent person in front of Jessica, then she starts spending time with you guys."

Betty's voice was getting louder as she continued talking, and moreover she was speaking nonsense.

"She knows who rules this school. And after her fucked up brother died for good, she also knew she had to act quickly. I'm pretty sure she would be just like her brother, fucked up in her head, and then there would also be another Tyler Down in..."

"ENOUGH!"

It was me who finally got her quiet. I don't like shouting at people, but it was becoming unbearable to listen her talk. She not only insulted Estela, but talked about Monty like he didn't mean anything.

"I'm going to say this once, Betty, so hear this neatly." It was me glaring at her now, anger visible in my voice. "You didn't knew Monty like I did. Like the team did. So you can't say shit about him."

She went to say something, but I was not going to listen to her anymore.

"Yes, he did something bad, but he got punished for it. He didn't deserve death, no one does, and now he is no more. So the least we can do is to not talk ill about a dead person."

Everyone who was still in the gym was looking at us, closely listening to what I was saying. It was me glaring at her now, and her anger was replaced by a scared look.

Yup, be scared of me.

"Even if after what Monty did to Tyler, or Bryce, he was still my brother, my teammate and I'm not going to just stand here and listen to you talk shit about him or even his sister. Estela is my friend too, get that inside your head. So just fucking mind your own business, and leave me alone."

Before Betty could say anything else, I decided to go. She was definitely not worth my time.

As I turned around towards the doors, I was surprised to see Diego and coach Kerba standing there.

Shit, they must've heard everything.

I wasn't in the mood to talk now, and they understood it too because when I passed by them on my way out they didn't stopped me.

But I still saw Diego giving me a nod in respect, something we did when one teammate stands for another. It was enough for me to know that Diego atleast trusted me now.

Standing up for Monty was my decision. After my hand in framing him for Bryce's death, this was the least I can do.

×××××××××××××××××××××××

How are you all? Hope you are being safe.

It's 12:15 AM in India right now, and I have online class at 9 AM tomorrow so I will probably go to sleep around 3 AM. :P

What's the time in your country when you got the chapter update?

Don't forget to Vote & Comment!