Five

Charlie

When I was a kid, unlike other children my age I would always be excited to go to school.

Then after my mom's death, I kind of gave myself to school and football. It was enough distraction at that time. School had became a safe place for me.

Just to be clear, I was talking about elementary school and middle school. Because high school was a whole another story.

I never expected that I would cover up a murder and become the captain of the football team, all in less than one year. But here I was, driving to the school on the first day after winter break. With zero idea of what my school had done.

Today was the Future Fair. A fair for seniors to know the options after graduation, and for juniors to know all the committees in your school. A fair all schools should arrange for the betterment of students.

And here was Liberty High School, installing metal detectors at every entry of the main building.

When I parked my car in the school's parking lot, the crowd outside the main entry gates was very noticeable. I grabbed my bag and the new iPhone my father has gifted me, as I got out of the car.

What is going on?

As I made my way towards the school, some people gave me nods, while some girls said Hi's.

"Hey, Charles!" Zach threw his arm around my shoulder as he joined me by my side. "How were your holidays?"

"They were good." I replied, as we finally made it to the crowd. "After Christmas I went to visit my grandmother in LA. It was a good break."

We went through the glass doors, and when I saw the metal detectors, it was like every innocence of the school was just thrown away.

"Holy shit." Zach whispered under his breath as I kept my eyes in the front.

Two policemen were on each side of the metal detector and one other policeman was letting students passed through one by one. Their bags were getting checked as well.

A boy passed through and the machine beeped. He looked confused and frightened at the same time, as the police pulled him out. All the other students in the line also stopped to see this.

"I don't know what happened." He stuttered as another detector hand machine was used over him but it didn't beeped. Then they passed it over his bag and this time it beeped.

"Maybe, it's my geometry box." The owner of the bag said, as the police opened the bag upside-down and some handbooks fall with of course, a geometry box.

Every other student snickered, as I myself gave an amusing smile and Zach whispered 'fuckers'.

The three policemen gave a strict look to everyone, and started the line again.

Me and Zach passed through the metal detectors without any problems, but something else shocked us again.

"What is this fucking school thinking?" Zach said, as we both noticed the policemen in each and every hallway.

"Do you think, it's because of the guns they found?" I asked him, suddenly realising that it could be a possibility as it has been just two weeks since the police has found the guns. "Maybe they are suspicious of a student?"

"Maybe," Zach said turning to look at me. "Or maybe they are just suspicious of Tyler."

I have always looked up to Zach, even now when he wasn't the team's captain anymore. Because he was the first one to warn me about Monty. But right now, he wasn't that Zach anymore.