Chapter Thirteen : Ghost

Three days.

Three days and I have seen nothing of Hazel. Nothing. Not a glance. Not a sound. Not even the feeling that she was watching me. I've listened in on conversations; she is definitely in school. Others have their stories about her and her activities. All, it seems, but me, Marley, Robyn, and Cael.

Kelse seemed to notice. And she thinks it's because I creeped Hazel out. If it helps the kid sleep at night...

Anyway. I did learn some interesting tidbits about the she-devil.

1) she only attacks my friends. The guys who claim to have hit on her also claim to only have been bluntly rejected - but they all try to cover it up with the 'fact' that she really 'did' want to get with them. Clearly that is oh so true.

2) she is an insanely good mathematician and scientist. Better than the teachers most of the time.

3) she absolutely sucks at English. She doesn't get literature. She doesn't get stories. No kidding.

4) she doesn't give a duck about modern history. She can, however, recite a list of all gods, goddesses, religions, etc. of ancient times. And all the mythology surrounding them. Scary.

5) everyone thinks she is sixteen. Can't blame them... She has a mature presence.

6) I miss her.

I really miss her.

It's boring without her. It's frustrating that I can't find her. I just hate how she can avoid me so easily. So freaking perfectly it is infuriating.

Now I'm just bored. Constantly bored.

The solution?

I snuck my hand into my pocket to grab at the slippery rectangle which would be my un-bored-ifyer. Shut up. I know it's not a word.

Cautiously ignoring my surroundings, I checked a text from Marley. She was getting special attention due to her recent injury -she decided that night I slept over to come to school with me- and she had posted a picture of her in the elevator. Lucky thing. I hate stairs.

...

Another day past and nothing changed. Hazel was still avoiding me. How do you avoid someone for four days?! I get it if you don't have school together, but come on! I'm supposed to see her on a minimum of three occasions a day: lunch at the servery, breakfast at the servery, and on the way out of her math class. So where the fuck is Hazel?!

In related news, tommorow is the day the black-haired demoness is supposed to be forced to interact with me again... In theory, anyway. I don't really remember if they did or did not mention Hazel being unwillingly subjected to my presence. I know they mentioned Megan, but not what the deal was with Hazel.

So... My current life... Laying on my bed, staring at those stupid yellow walls, with their childish drawings of a fairytale land, that I haven't gotten around to painting a more pleasant color.

Some kid had drawn them back before I moved here. The kid is probably only three years younger than me, but I have no idea where he or she lives. What? Just because society says girls should have an inexplicable love for rainbows that ironically make them seem not gay, but boys could still do this kind of stuff. Maybe the kid had really awesome parents.

I guess that's the only reason I like those stupid walls. The thought that they made some kid happy. I'm such a sap sometimes, it's kinda pathetic. I still have every childhood painting framed in my parents' room.

Blah. The world is boring me. Marley is out doing something that makes her un-text-able, while Robbie and Cael are on a date. Last time I ruined one of those, Robyn guilt tripped me. One word: ugh. Never will I interrupt their dates again.

And it's just me. Me being bored.

Ding.

My phone went off.

Micha : What's up, 13?

Displayed on my lock screen. I sighed with exasperation and relief.

Me : absolutely nothing

The response came almost instantly.

Micha : so you want me to occupy you by spilling gossip on your unfortunate crush?

Me : you are extremely good at figuring things out

Micha : had practice. What you care to know?

Me : why does she hate the sky?

Micha : complicated. PTSD mostly. Emotional scarring. She loves the sky, but something happened and now she can't enjoy it the same way

Me : is she color blind or something? She did know I had brown eyes

Micha : hahaha no she just... it's really complicated. Anything else I can help you with?

Me : yeah. What's up with you people and your siblings? I mean, Hazel and Megan freak over their sister, and I think you told me to run from yours

Micha : smart kid, 13, it's a power struggle. Ish. Oldest siblings are mostly nice and all sunshiney rainbows and glitter. Youngest siblings are vicious and you NEVER want to meet one. Middle sibs have a natural imbalance. I can explain it to you better tomorrow. Megan will be the one to pick you up.