Chapter Twenty-Five : Family Ties

A week.

Seven days.

Guess what!

Hazel is a-freaking-voiding me again!

Once. Count that. Uno. Une. Echad. One sighting of anything Hazel all this week. And better; it wasn't even Hazel. It was Megan, who'd showed up the day after the incident to tell me that she'd tell me when the N.S. wanted to see me again.

Unbelievable.

To top it all off, I know she is watching me. Whenever I'm with Marley I know she is watching me. And I get the feeling Marley knows it too.

"Grace!" I jumped in my seat. "What's this mean?" My history teacher gestured to a picture of a Roman coin on the smart-board. I swear the thing is so ironically dumb it's funny.

"It says something about a dictator for life. And it says Caesar. I think it's trying to say Caesar was a dictator for life" I sighed. Brain, stop being so useless. Hazel, why the fuck won't you stop making my brain go haywire?! I don't want to think of you!

"Correct. And this symbol is a Nike-" the teacher kept talking and talking and don't get me wrong, I love the dude, but today is just so freaking ugh! I just can't.

"Grace!" He called again. I shrieked a little. "What's this?" He gestured to the thing on the image person's head.

"Loral crown. Given to the victors of a tournament. The headdress is a symbol of him being the high priest" I read my notes.

"Good! And-" he was talking again. My idiot brain decided to bother me again. I was stuck thinking of Hazel kissing me. I'd zoned out when it happened, but that only made my demonic conscious try to make something up.

I could remember the look in her eyes. Just that. Anger. Hatred. Rage. Fury. Aggression. Nothing remotely pleasant. So why is it I crave the memory? I know I enjoyed it, remembering the details would burry me deeper.

"Grace!"

"Romans!" I yelped again.

...

English went the same way (me zoning out then yelling 'It's the Friar's fault!' When my teacher tried to call on me during our Romeo and Juliet lesson). So did math ('triangles!' During trig). And science ('triangles!' During shadow math). And my free block ('Marley!' For various reasons). And that leaves me at home. Making myself a salad. Listening to some cooking show in the background.

My phone buzzed every now and then, but I ignored it. Ugh. What now? I mean... She kissed me... And touched me, according to Marley, and nothing has changed. She is still an irritating irritant, and I am still confused, wondering what I did to deserve this. Who does that?! Bitch, ignore, kiss, ignore. Just out of nowhere; Hazel kissing me. I really need to get some pocket pepper spray... Maybe a spray bottle would work, like it does with cats. I wonder if she's a cat person- oh my god! I did it again. Stop thinking about her!

"Grace! I'm home!" Sawyer barged into the room.

"Not now. Girl problems" I grumbled.

"I thought you had your period last week! Ugh!" He replied unenthusiastically.

"The other kind of girl problem"

"Okay... uh... There are a lot of problems girls have..."

"Ugh. The male gender is one of them! I have problems with a girl!" I face-palmed.

"Ahh. The hot one?" He picked up the remote and put on some stupid show about dudes in stupid places.

"Be more specific. I-unlike you-know many hot girls" I tried to improve my mood through failed jokes.

"Marley? Not a chance. It has to be that black haired chick" he nodded with confidence. "What she do? Beat you, kick you, hit you-"

"She kissed me" I deadpanned. Silence. Sawyer had his jaw unhinged, limp. "Don't catch a fly" I snorted.

"When?! Where?! How long?! Was there tongue?!" He shook my shoulders.

"A week ago, her freaky night school, I don't know, back off my personal life, pervert" I grumbled "holy shit I sound just like her" I whined.

"The what and the where?"

"She goes to this freak night school" I rolled my eyes "pay attention"

"An you never told me about this why?"

"Because it wasn't important. I don't want to talk about it"

"You do, you just don't want me to know about it"

"Also true"

"Back to this Hazel chick. What's happened since the kiss?"

"Nothing at all. She's avoiding me" we went back and forth like this for a while, eventually he'd teased all the information out of me that he could. Thankfully I was able to resist giving away any of the N.S. secrets.

*Okay, this is a filler.... There will be a lot of kinda boring chapters to come, by I'll try to escalate this as efficiently as I can. :p