Chapter Sixty-Seven: March Twenty-First Part One

I walked back to the couch, still trying to forget Marley's... Uh... Call it a farewell, and grabbed my phone to check for any activity from Hazel.

Hazel: Megan and I are almost at my house.

Hazel: We're home. Are you coming over? Do you have transport?

Hazel: Grace?

Hazel: Grace, Megan wants to know if you're going to need a ride.

Hazel: Grace?!

Hazel: Are you there?

Hazel: Megan isn't letting me eat anything until she knows if you're going to come over before or after lunch.

Hazel: Grace!

I swear, I look away from my phone for five minutes and this happens...

Me: Would you like me to come over? By the way, I was talking with Marley and didn't get your texts until now.

Hazel: Yes.

I smiled widely.

Me: Okay then. I don't have a ride. And I'm able to come over whenever you'd like and/or whenever I can get a ride :) I have a present for you.

Hazel: Megan says she'll pick you up. Says she has something to talk to you about, too. What kind of present?

Me: Okay, I'll be waiting. And I'm not telling you what it is. That's half the fun ;)

Hazel: Fun for me or fun for you?

Me: Both. I'm pretty sure you'll like it. I'll see you soon, kay?

Hazel: Okay.

I put my phone down and went to check on Hazel's present, making sure everything was in place and accounted for. Then I ended up playing games on my phone until there was a ring at the door. I grabbed the metallically shiny blue present bag and my purse and raced to the door. Checking the window, I verified that it was in fact Megan before turning off the lights in my house and walking outside, locking the front door behind me.

"Hey." I smiled.

"Hey." Megan returned, walking me down to her car. "So... I have to talk to you about something before we get back to my place." She said as she got in the car and closed her door. I took the front passenger seat.

"Shoot."

"So we both know today's particular significance to Hazel, in terms of her psychology and physical development." She started as she pulled out of my driveway. I nodded. "My question is whether or not you would like me to spend the night elsewhere." She gave me a quick glance, but made sure to be diligent in watching the road.

"Uh-wh-"

"Grace, I see how you look at her. I see how she looks at you. I know more than you tell me." She smiled slightly, "and while my personal opinion may not fully favor you two being alone tonight, I have a moral obligation not to interfere with this. I can stay and try to keep Hazel in control, and would strongly advise you against having any intimate interaction where I can hear it.

"Or, I can go out and leave you two to do what you will. I've already set up a plan for my accommodations tonight if you'd like me out. It's free and I honestly would not mind or take offense. The decision's only influence is your own opinion and agenda.

"But I'll tell you know that you have to let me know soon and you can't back out on your choice."

"Uh..." I bit my lip. "Yeah. I think I'd like it if you'd leave us."