Chapter Eight : Megan

"Uh, who is that?" One of my classmates poked my shoulder and whispered to me. Her name was Dani, I think... She is in three other classes with me, and had clearly noticed Libby sitting in the back of the room. "Is that an actual hickey on her neck? Or is it just make up... I think she is wearing too much make up. Do you know her? I think she is following you" she muttered huriedly.

"Yeah, she is my mom's friend's daughter... Just checking out the school. I don't know if it's real, but she told me she is in a relationship. I'd say it's probably real" I replied quietly, blocking out the science teacher. I already understood what he was teaching, so he'd just confuse me and I'd end up erasing the notes I took when I actually understood what was going on.

"She is really pretty" Dani replied enviously. "How do you even get that pretty?!" she exclaimed in a whisper. "Do you know what make up she uses? It must cost a ton" I shrugged.

"No idea. I didn't even know she was coming until she showed up, let alone who she was. Surprised me just as much as it surprised anyone else" I'd been asked about her so many times I'd had to call her over once and develop a story over who she was. She'd already had an answer, so I adopted it.

"Did you, uh, you know...?" She shook her head a little, sugestively.

"I told you, she is in a relationship. Besides I don't really like her like that. She's pretty and all, but not... Meh" I just sighed and leaned back in my seat.

"Grace, would you like to give us the formula for velocity?" The science teacher interupted me. I answered with little thought.

"Delta Y over delta X or displacement over change in time. Subtract point Y one from point Y two and devide by the difference between point X one subtracted from point X two" I replied halfheartedly. I learned this like last year, so it was pretty simple.

"Okay, and how would you find the total force acting on an object given Z n. is being applied at an angle of X degrees?" this one I had to put thought into.

"Define segments adjacent and opposite. Sin. of X is opposite over hypotenuse, and from there cos. of X is equal to the adjacent over hypotenuse" I didn't pay much attention to whether I was right or not, but I did notice Hazel was in the back of the room, near Libby, giving me an aprroving look... God, there is something wrong with that woman... I said to myself, scowling. Libby, on the other hand was rolling her eyes with this sinitster smirk on her face.

"Damn, you're smart" Dani mused.

"Mhm..." My voice trailed off as Libby leaned over and whispered something to Hazel. Libby's eyes darted to mine, and she smirked when she knew it, still bending towards Hazel. The latter of the two glanced from me to Libby before continuing whatever conversation she was having with the woman while both were still casting quick regards my way.

Both stood abruptly, but in a casual, inconspicuous way. Libby jerked her head, her eyes locked on mine. She was telling me to follow her. I checked, quickly, to see Hazel's expression. Big. Mistake. It was terrifying. Not just because she'd been toying with my mind a lot lately, or because her eyes were hard with authority. There was real, genuine concern in the sapphires she somehow got stuck in her eyes. And the fact that Hazel whatever-her-last-name-is was showing any degree of worry, pity, empathy, or any emotion along those lines-her showing any emotion at all, as a matter of fact- was a really big blow to my nerves. Normally, it would have also given me half a crush-sick heart attack... Because those totally exist... I think.

"Kay, Grace, I need you to come on a quick car ride with me and Hazel. I dragged Zee out to help me drive, but I should probably warn you that my in-law might show up" Libby tossed her hair to one side. "Granted, Zee has a habit of showing up with the person you least expect" she added teasingly. "You up for it, Grace?"