Chapter Sixty-Three : The End of Us

"Do you think I should check on her?" I squirmed anxiously under Hazel's body for the nth time in this minute.

"Megan is handling it." Hazel grumbled. She was being really nice, but I've kinda been wearing her out. If she were the usual Hazel, she'd've had a jealous seizure, irritation hives, and a myriad of other unusual and Hazel-unique symptoms of general unhappiness. I mean, my heartbroken friend was in Hazel's basement, with Hazel's nice triplet, and I was up in the living room, Hazel making me her pillow, and me enjoying it when I wasn't freaking the fuck out about my friend every point negative two seconds. Trust me, I made it possible. I know because I complained so much, I started to pity Hazel for having to deal with me like this.

"You're sure?" I bit my lip.

"As sure as I was when I answered the first time." Said Hazel, adjusting her position of being curled up on my lap. "Stop struggling!" Hazel groaned when I kept anxiously bouncing my leg and obsessively twirling her hair around my finger. I didn't think long on the oddity of the action- it was unusual for her to let me, and it evoked a good sum of feeling, yet, I barely, and completely, noticed. 

"I can't!" I whined with nerves on end. "What is Megan even doing down there?" Hazel sighed.

"Paperwork, probably; mumbling to herself. If your friend is awake, likely, she is giving her a long speech on second psychology."

"Okay... But I should probably just check on her-" I muttered. Hazel groaned frustratedly.

"Are we really going to do this again?!" She put her hands on either side of my body and lifted her torso up to meet our eyes. Hazel was executing one of her favorite tactics of making me cave: getting really invasive of my bubble. Granted, I have no problem with Hazel in my space, but she and I both know that's it's a pretty fucking effective way to make me stop arguing.

But I should really go check on Marley- even if Hazel is... Well... Being all personal... Oh, and she smells nice... Maybe Megan has the situation under control and- no! Bad Grace! Focus!

"Grace!" Hazel scowled at me.

"What?" I asked innocently, trying to make my uncontrollable staring at her lips less conspicuous. Meanwhile, my head was buzzing with the control it took to not start kissing her, and with the added pressure of Marley's situation.

"Why are you so stressed?" She tilted her head a little, which served two purposes, first, making me want to hug her (with some strange instinctive belief that if I did so with enough passion, my problems would inexplicably vanish), and two, excite my nerves because she almost always did that to appear coy before kissing me.

"Zel, my best friend is hurt. I understand that you're doing what you can to help, but I worry wether or not it's enough." I sighed away some of my stress, but it quickly returned. I pressed my forehead to Hazel's, just craving her touch.

"Okay." She stated, closing her eyes with a loud sigh. I mimicked soon after, my eyes shut while a deep exhalation left my body.

We sat like that for a while, synchronizing our breathing, mine slowing to the calm pace of her therapeutic repetition, and my nervousness melted and blurred more and more the longer I was with her.

"Zel?" I broke the silence with an entranced voice, my eyes opening to take in her serene beauty.

"Hm?" She breathed.

You're beautiful.

I'm so glad you're here.

I need you.