The Iron Arc #4

You hovered in front of the hospital window beside Riri as she looked inside. The girl on the bed, that was Daija.

It was night time now and you head left to Chicago right after school let out. Widow still hadn't responded to your text so you figured she either didn't read it, or was busy.

Either way, you had your mind on other things.

Riri reached out and tapped the on window. Daija rolled over and saw you two flying there.

Daija: It's a sealed window! It doesn't open! I can't....

Riri silenced her by cutting through the glass with a mini laser. She created a hole and pushed the glass out before she crawled through the hole. You followed her into the room.

Daija: Oh lord. Why are you doing this?

Riri looked at her friend.

Riri: I can ask the same thing. Why are you on TV telling lies?

Daija looked at you before she turned back to Riri.

Daija: You brought an Avenger with you? Really?

Y/N: Not an Avenger. Yet.

Riri took off her helmet so that her friend can see her.

Riri: You know you can tell me the truth! I'm not a little kid anymore.

Daija: Obviously! You're a grown person with your own life. And way too much "I'm the one who made it out of the hood" survivors guilt and not enough common sense.

Riri crossed her arms with a raised brow.

Riri: Oh, it's like that?

Daija: It's like that.

Riri rolled her eyes and turned back towards the window.

Riri: I'll leave you to your own problems, then.

She suddenly stopped and looked at the pair of shoes by the bed.

Riri: What are those? The retro flygirl eights?

She picked them up and looked at them.

Daija: You a sneakerhead now?

Riri: No. I'm just curious.

She tossed the shoes back down and pulled on her helmet while you sighed. So much for an easy visit.

Daija: Leave, Riri. And take your friend with you.

Riri just rolled her eyes and flew out the window. You followed her and flew away. But back at the hospital room, a figure stepped out of the shadows. Daija softly cried to herself.

???: I knew this would happen

Daija jumped at the voice and turned towards the man standing there.

Daija: Leave her alone. She's not coming back.

???: You told me that if I let you go, her interests would wane. You were wrong. Bow she will pay for your failure with her life.

Daija: Nooooo!

The door opened and a nurse rushed into the room where Daija was crying. No one else was there.

And on a rooftop not too far away, you and Riri listened to the entire thing.

Riri: Who was that guy?

Y/N: I dunno. But he's definitely looking to kill you, Ri. You're lucky he didn't see you plant that bug in those shoes.

Riri nodded. She activated her thermal vision and scanned the area. You also kept an eye out. This guy was the key to cracking open this whole case.