Chapter 5

*** Heads up: Swearing is in this chapter***

Jane's POV:

As I walked this Brenton Smith to his room, so many questions kept circulating throughout my mind. But the main question that kept sticking was...

Why?

Why him?

" So, you are the most glorious Jane Volturi?" Brenton's voice brought me back from my thoughts with his beautiful English accent that wrapped around me like silk.

"Yes, that is me," was all I could manage to say, still looking ahead, as I peered at the corner of my eye I saw Brenton glancing at me and nod once. As we finally reached Brenton's room, I reached for the doorknob, turned it and pushed the door open.

I walked into the room with Brenton behind me, following me into the room where he'll be staying. "Here is your room for the time being," I said looking at the new guard.

"Thank you, Jane," Brenton whispered softly, " for saving my life."

"It is the least I can do," I calmly said. I watched Brenton nod and go towards the center of his new room, looking around to his new surroundings then looked over towards me and gave me a weak smile. Then, a thought surfaced in my mind, an image of Brenton and I holding each other as we gazed at each other so lovingly and ...happy.

I swiftly shook the thought away and cleared my throat. "I will take my leave now, please let any of us know if you need anything, Mr. Smith," I said clearly and then I turned swiftly towards the door to leave the room.

As I was speed walking towards my room, my brother was walking in the opposite direction.

"Jane!" Alec yelled, "What the hell happened in there?"

I stopped in my tracks as my brother walked up to me. "Why did you stop the trial, Jane?"

"I-I don't know what happened," I tried to explain, "I just felt the urge to protect him at all costs, Brother." Alec's eyes were an extremely dark red, his anger was rising.

"I have never seen you do that," Alec growled, "Nor am I happy about what happened in there. Aro and Caius are not happy about this either, you just put all of our lives on the line for this bastard!"

"I care about him, Alec!" I yelled back angrily, " I want to be with him!"

" You just met him, Jane!" Alec hissed, " Also, he could be a threat to our coven."

"You don't know that, Alec," I whispered softly, " He could be innocent."

Alec's nostrils flared in anger and annoyance, "You don't know that either, Jane." Alec growled, "He might not be as innocent as you think."

"Well, only time can tell, my dear brother," I sarcastically remarked, glaring at my brother.

"We'll see, dear sister," Alec snarled back, glaring down at me and then stormed away to his room.

My eyes followed after my brother as he stormed off and the sound of the door slamming rang in the empty halls as I stood alone with my frustration and annoyance towards this whole situation. One question however did pop up at this time, a question that I have no answer to...

What have I done?