Chapter 14

Dakota was lying in bed in the master bedroom, still in critical conditions of the wounds that were conflicted onto him by his former second in command and traitor. The five Volturi guards were waiting outside of his room to talk to him when he becomes conscious, its been five days since the rebellion of Carter.

"I hope he wakes soon," Alec muttered to his sister, "We need to go back soon to Italy."

"Why don't we leave and then come back when he feels better?" Felix asked, leaning against the wall.

"No," Alec answered, "Aro won't be impressed with us if we leave without an explanation of what happened with the other covens."

"I don't think Dakota would know that answer," a woman's voice echoed down the hall. The woman's slender, feminine figure walking towards the guard, her scarlet red curls bounced as she walked, her emerald green eyes observing each of the guard as she got closer. "It was Carter who planned all those attacks," she continued, "Not Dakota, he just wanted to be at peace with those covens and only wanted to converse with them about some things."

Then the strange woman glanced over at Brenton and gave a suggestive smile at his direction and winked, jealousy went through Jane like wildfire. "I'm sorry," Jane interrupted,as she was watching the strange woman carefully, "What is your name? And did you just say that those covens were attacked?"

The interesting woman giggled and glided over to Brenton and placed her hand on his chest, "Brenton knows who I am, don't you?" The strange woman whispered gazing up at Brenton who, at this moment, looked very uncomfortable and glanced over at Jane apologetically.

"I was asking you, sweetheart," Jane growled, "Not my mate."

"It's been such a long time, Brenton," the strange woman whispered lovingly to Brenton, ignoring Jane's remark, "You look so different, so vampire-like." She touched his cheek with her palm very gently, Brenton's body language was tense, and not comforted by this woman's touch.

Brenton grabbed the woman's hand and looked her square in the face, "Stop touching me, Emmaline," Brenton said with a stern voice, staring into her eyes, "Now, answer Jane's questions, please."

"When did you come so cold, Brenton," Emmaline cried and ran into Dakota's room, sobbing. Brenton rolled his eyes and looked over at Jane, who looked pissed.

"How do you know that girl, Brenton?" Jane hissed, still fueled with jealousy and anger, folding her arms, "She obviously knew you in that interest."

Brenton sighed and looked at Jane sadly, "She's my ex-fiancee," He muttered, full of regret and annoyance. Then Jane ran off down the hall to the room she was staying in while they waited for Dakota to wake up, and slammed the door behind her in anger and jealousy. The boys watch her in awe and then looked each other in confusion, Alec cleared his throat and looked at Brenton and shrugged.

"She'll be back out eventually," Alec confirmed, "She just needs to cool down." All of the boys just nodded in agreement about Jane and continued on with the conversation.

"Who broke it off?" Felix butt in, looking at Brenton with surprise, Demetri and Alec rolled their eyes at Felix and looked over at Brenton with interest.

"I did," Brenton answered, "I caught her having sex with a different man during our engagement the day before our wedding."

"Oh shit, man," Demetri commented, "I am so sorry."

"No, don't be sorry," Brenton sighed, "Afterwards she ended up getting married to the man she had the affair with because she ended up with child with him. I don't know what happened to the child unfortunately, I think she gave it up for adoption once the child's father became a hunter and wanted nothing to do with him because she felt as if he betrayed her and her kind."

"Her kind?" Felix asked, confused, "What is she?"

"A lycan," Brenton answered, shrugging, "She then came crawling back to me, funny enough I was one of the best hunters with the society at the time so then she wanted nothing to do with me when I told her. Then, she punched me in the face for becoming a hunter and blaming me for ruining us."

"Oh fuck, man," Demetri exclaimed, in shock," you dodge a bullet." Brenton nodded in agreement and his eyes followed to Jane's bedroom door and sighed.

"I'm going to go talk to Jane," Brenton whispered, "I hope she doesn't think that I would immediately jump to Emmaline because of the history."

Demetri patted Brenton shoulder, "Good luck, you are going to need it," Demetri said, then made a praying motion with his hands, "I will be praying to the gods for your safe return."

"She is not that bad, Demetri," Alec muttered, rolling his eyes, then looked over at Brenton, "She'll listen to you, she is just surprise and hurt that you didn't tell her, but she'll understand." As Brenton was about to go talk to Jane, Emmaline came out of the room where Dakota was and cleared her throat.

"He's awake now," Emmaline remarked, "and he's aware and want to answer your questions." Then she immediately scattered down the hall as she saw Brenton and towards her bedroom and slammed the door.

Brenton looked over at Alec who was about to go in to see Dakota, "Alec, I need to talk to your sister now, is it okay if I go talk to her while you talk to Dakota?"

"Sure, you have my permission," Alec shrugged and looked at Demetri and Felix, "You two come with me." With that, the three Volturi guards went in to converse with Dakota Fang while Brenton jogged to Jane's bedroom then knocked on the door.

"You have permission to come in," Jane's voice rang out, Brenton smiled at her formality as he found it absolutely adorable and beautiful, then he opened the door to go in.