Chapter 19

A few months has passed as Alec, Jane and Brenton were walking towards the guards' lounge to rewind and relax after being in the throne room once more for their feeding, Jane cuddled into Brenton's chest as they were sitting on the love seat across from the TV as Alec was reading the newspaper, well as it seemed to the new lovebirds anyway.

Alec's thoughts were overthrown by Demetri's words, by Alec's own selfishness and arrogant behavior towards Brenton Smith, and his jealousy towards his sister for finding her mate before him.

You are unworthy of love, boy. Alec's deceased father's words echoed in the back of the poor boy's mind.

"Alec," Jane's voice broke him out of his thought, "Are you alright?"

"Yes, I'm fine, sister," Alec whispered and smiled, weakly. Jane watched her brother carefully as continued to "read" the newspaper, and sighed and relaxed back into Brenton's arms while still watching her brother.

"You know you can tell me anything, brother," She said, comforting, "Just because Brenton and I are together, I am still your sister."

"I know," Alec muttered, putting down the newspaper and getting up and exiting the room,  "Everything is fine," and he closed the door behind him, leaving his sister alone with Brenton.

Jane bit her lip and sighed and shook her head in annoyance, Brenton watched his mate carefully. "This is a lot for your brother to take in, Jane," Brenton finally said, holding Jane's shoulders comfortingly, "Give him some time to adjust to this change of events."

"I don't want him to think I choose you over him," Jane whispered, as she placed her face in the palms of her hands as she dry sobbed, "I don't want him to think that at all."

"Do you want me to talk to him?" Brenton asked, still comfortingly laying his hands on his mate's shoulders, "I don't mind really."

"No," Jane answered quietly, "He'll try to kill you again."

"Jane, that was a few months ago," Brenton whispered back with his arms wrapped around Jane's waist, "Your brother hasn't attacked me since, I think I'll be okay. So please, my love, stop crying, please." Jane lifted her head up to look at Brenton and cuddled under his chin.

"Fine," She whispered as she sat up to let her mate get up to go see Alec, "But please don't try to kill each other, for me."

Brenton stood over Jane and smiled, "I'll be fine," He said, and leaned in to peck his mate's lips, "promise." Then off Brenton went to go talk to Alec, Jane felt a heaviness on her still heart and sighed.