Chapter 1: Dragon Raid

Narration

This is Berk. It's twelve days north of hopeless, and a few degrees south of freezing to death. It's located solidly on the Meridian of Misery. The village. In a word, sturdy. And it's been here for seven generations, but every single building is new. We have fishing, hunting, and a charming view of the sunsets. The only problems are the pests. You see, most places have mice or mosquitos. They have...dragons.

Stoick the Vast, chief of the tribe was off helping fight the dragons and Valka the wife of the chief was helping defend the sick and weak such as children and the elderly. Hiccup was in his house watching the raid from a window. The boy was five years old and bored out of his mind. He sat with his chin resting on his hands watching fire blow up houses. Suddenly a scream was sounded off throughout the whole village. A large four winged dragon took Hiccup's mother away from him.

The boy stood up and screamed, "MOM!" He sat on his knees and sobbed.

Hiccup had a grand idea. He stood up, grabbed his journal and charcoal pencil, and walked out the door. He set off into the forest tripping over roots and rocks. He wanted to find the dragon or any dragon for the matter. Hiccup was a small scrawny boy, smaller and skinnier than the other kids. He was five years old but looked like he was three. He had shaggy auburn hair that slightly covered his emerald green eyes.

A branch cracked behind him. The boy whipped around terrified. Two forest green orbs opened up staring at the child. His pupils were like cubes. A dragon stood from the shadows and walked forward sniffing the air. Hiccup backed up slowly but the dragon advanced.

The words finally left his mouth, "Night Fury..." Why wasn't this dragon in the raid? Maybe he sniffed the young boy out and realized he was still like a hatchling.

The dragon smiled showing no teeth; gummy. Hiccup stuck his hand out slowly and the dragon put his nose to the boy's hand. The dragon lowered to the ground allowing the boy to climb on. Once he did he hugged the dragon's neck and the Night Fury took off taking Hiccup far from the village of Berk.