Chapter 9: Funeral

Hiccup's POV
Huff. Huff. Puffs of air were blowing on my eyes. I blinked them open. Toothless was staring at me. I looked around and seen that I was back at the sanctuary. I sat up and was greeted by Toothless licking me.

I'm okay bud...
Stoick's POV 3 weeks earlier
I saw Hiccup fall into the fire with his dragon diving after him. I wandered around in the smoke looking for him. When it cleared I couldn't see a thing in sight. They were gone.

"He's nowhere to be found! If he doesn't come up in a few short weeks then he will be presumed dead!" I choked. People gasped. "If he is dead then we will honor him by welcoming the dragons as pets! We'll start by training the dragons in the ring! Astrid you will be in charge of that!"

We all got on the boats with tears in our eyes. We were so sad because I had him in my grasp and I let him go. The boy we knew 10 years ago saved our lives and the lives of the dragons.
Hiccup's POV Present Day
Mom had made me a prosthetic leg because below my knee was gone. She couldn't save it. I was hobbling around when something dawned on me. I hopped on Toothless and flew away.

"I'll be back soon! I just need to check something!" I shouted on my way down the tunnel.

Toothless and I flew towards Berk to tell them I wasn't dead. Mom told me what happened after I blacked out. Toothless caught me and protected me with his wings. When we hit the ground before the smoke cleared my mom grabbed Toothless and I taking us back to the sanctuary. We stopped when Berk came into view. The whole village was at the cliff carrying bows and arrows in their hands and a ship was below ready to be set afloat. No. They think I'm dead. I think it's best for now to keep it this way. Gobber started mumbling.
Astrid's POV
Stoick stood at the center edge of the cliff ahead of us and the village spread out on both sides of him. It had been three weeks since Hiccup disappeared and the chief had called it.

Gobber began speaking, "May the valkairys welcome you and lead you through great Odin's battefield. May they sing your name with love and fury, so that we may hear you rise from the depths of Valhalla. I know you've taken your rightful place at the Table of Kings. For a great boy fell three weeks ago. A son. A friend. A dragon rider."

Stoick fired the first arrow and the rest of us followed. Then he spoke, "I had no idea dragons meant so much to Hiccup. When I saw him on his island he didn't want to come back. He wouldn't come back because we were dragon killers. I'm going to change that."

After I fired my arrow I watched it hit the ship that was floating out in the ocean. I noticed a black dragon-like figure hovering just below the clouds not far from the ship. I knew then Hiccup was alive. His dragon had saved his life.
Hiccup's POV
Watching my own funeral was heart breaking. I could tell Gobber was speaking and my dad. I think Astrid might have noticed me but nobody else did. I flew away as the villagers walked away from the cliff. I got back to the sanctuary.

I ran to my mom and cried in her armour, "Mom it was horrible. They thought I was dead. They had a funeral for me!!!!!"

"Hiccup I know you want to tell then you're alive but you can't! Not right now. They kill dragons..." She rubbed my back.

I stepped away, "I know..."

I knew then that I would always protect Berk from anything that came in their way.