Chapter 15: Seeing Ghosts

Hiccup's POV

     Toothless and I were hanging out in the sanctuary watching the dragons play and enjoy the peace. Suddenly a branch cracked. Toothless turned around snarling. I drew my flame sword and turned around as well. I stopped. The man I was staring at was my father.

     "Dad what are doing here?! How did you get in here?!" I asked furiously.

     "Hiccup? You're alive?!" He choked. I gulped and nodded. He pulled me into a hug and sobbed. "I saw you fall into the explosion! When the smoke cleared you weren't there!"

     "Um...yeah...a friend of mine I was living with took me back here when she saw me fall. Toothless protected me. I lost a leg though." I lifted my prosthetic leg up and showed him.

     "We had a funeral for you!" My dad said.

     "I know. I watched." I whispered.

     "Come on!" He grabbed my arm and began dragging me in the tunnels.

     "Uh Dad! There's something I need to tell you!" I said.

     "Add it to the pile!" He grumbled.

     "It's kind of a life changing moment! Alter your course of destiny kind of thing!" I try to tell him.

     He stops dead in a cave we reached. I looked around his shoulder and saw Mom standing there.

     "Oh hey Mom!" I said giving a small laugh.

     My dad slowly walked forward and my mom spoke softly, "I know what you're going to say Stoick. How could I have stayed for 20 years? Stayed away from you and the village? How could Hiccup stay away for five years? We did it to protect you! To protect Berk!"

     He put a hand on her cheek, "You're more beautiful than the day I lost you."

     A tear ran down her cheek and her put a soft kiss on her lips. I feel like the third wheel.