Chapter 3: Saddle

Hiccup's POV

The next day I took Toothless on our morning flight. When we got back I began making the saddle. I laid the leather on the ground and cut the shape of the saddle with my dagger. I molded the leather to the shape of Toothless's back. I then added layers of leather so it was a thick saddle sewing it together with thread. I created strips of leather and buckles with the Gronckle iron so I could clip the saddle around his neck. With the remaining iron I made foot pegs and a small thin bar to hang onto and a ring with a clip on the saddle so I would be securely on the saddle. I attached it to Toothless and got on him.

Shall we try the new saddle?
We shall...
Toothless leaped into the air climbing higher and higher into the sky. We stayed just below the clouds and flew towards Berk hoping not to be caught. I could tell Toothless wanted to head to this one island we found. It's beautiful; a huge river with a waterfall above and covered in lush green trees. The problem is we had to fly over Berk to get there. Berk came into view and I braced myself. The horn blew signaling a raid.

"Night Fury!!!!!" Someone shouted.

Bolas were fired at us, we tried dodging them but one hit us. We tumbled to the ground in the center of the village. The hood of my cloak was still on and crawled out of the ropes. I unsheathed my dagger and began cutting the ropes. People gasped.

My father walked up, "Hey! What are you doing?! That's a Night Fury!"

I didn't respond and continued to cut the ropes. I was almost done when a hand grabbed my wrist. Toothless growled.

I knew a few important things acquiring Toothless's safety, "Let...me...and...my... dragon...go. We're...just...passing... through."

"No. I intend to kill him. Dragons are beasts." My dad gritted through his teeth.

I wrenched my hand from his grip and began cutting the ropes again. The hood was drawn from my head and people gasped, clearly not expecting a fifteen year old boy.

My dad spoke again, "Who are you?"

I didn't answer as I didn't know how to answer. I cut the last rope and Toothless got up. People screamed stumbling backwards.

I got on Toothless and turned to the crowd, "Don't...come...looking...for...me." We took off into the sky.