Chapter 13: Much Needed Discovery

Hiccup's POV
     Yesterday Mom and I destroyed a bunch of Drago's traps and rescued dragons to be taken to the sanctuary. Toothless and I almost got captured but I got him to wake up. Mom and I were taking care of the rescued dragons now when I had an idea.

     "What do you say Mom? A flight just the two of us?" I asked after rubbing underneath a Humblegrunt's chin.

     "That sounds lovely!" She smiled and stood up. We put all the rescued dragons to sleep with the spot underneath their chins because they needed lots of rest.

     We flew out through the tunnels and into the sky. I was dying to show my mom my new flying suit. "Hey Mom! Check this out!" I jumped off of Toothless and dived to the ocean. She screamed my name. Toothless was right beside me. I opened my flight suit/armour and began gliding. Toothless opened his wings and he flew a little behind me. "WOOHOO THIS IS AMAZING!" I saw an icy rock pillar come into view. "Uh oh no!" Toothless! He flew up, blasted the pillar, and wrapped me in his wings. We crashed and tumbling down a snowy hill. He unwrapped his wings and I stood up. You okay?
     I'm fine. Are you????
     Yeah
     My mom landed and ran over to me, "Hiccup! Oh my gods don't do that again! But that was so cool!" She chuckled.

     "Thanks Mom." I smiled.

     I began scratching Toothless in his neck. I felt a pressure point. I pressed on it. The spikes on his back popped into two separate ones.

     Wooooow. Toothless did you know about this?
     Nope. All I know is the spikes help with turns.
     My mom gasps, "Oh my gods! Hiccup I read about that spot on Night Furies! I completely forgot about it! It's supposed to help with tight turns! I am so sorry! If I told you earlier you wouldn't have lost your leg! I'm sorry..."

     "Mom it's fine. Toothless had no idea either." I reassured her.

     "It's just with rush of finally getting my son back and Berk..." She trailed off.

     "I know..." I smiled.

     Toothless having a new ability with his spikes meant something complete different now. Whatever comes, humans or dragons, we'll fight.