Chapter 17: Determination

Hiccup's POV

     The smoke cleared and I sat up taking in my surroundings. My dad was on the ground covered in ice not moving. Toothless was breathing heavily smoke coming out of his mouth.

     I ran over to my dad pushing ice chunks off of him, "Dad! No!" My mother ran over to us and checked for a heart beat. She felt nothing. I could tell by the sad look in her eyes. Astrid ran over and comforted me. Toothless's eyes went back to normal. He nudged my dad's hand but I shoved him away. No! Get away from him! He looked at me with his big sad eyes. Go on! Get out of here! Toothless ran away and I sat back on my knees and cried.
*Time Skip*

     We stood on a cliff; my mom, Eret, Astrid, and the rest of the gang. I stood in the center watching the boat with my dad's body on it slowly float.

     My mom spoke softly, "May the valkairys welcome you and lead you through great Odin's battefield. May they sing your name with love and fury, so that we may hear you rise from the depths of Valhalla. I know you've taken your rightful place at the Table of Kings. For a great man fell today. A warrior. A chieftain. A father. A friend....."

     She handed me a bow and one arrow. I notched the arrow in and lit the tip on fire. I aimed at the ship and fired. The rest followed. "I'm sorry Dad. I didn't protect you like I promised myself I would."

      My mom put a hand on my shoulder, "When you born I feared you wouldn't make it. But your father believed. Now look at you, one of the first people to ride a dragon." She faced me and put a hand on my heart. "You have the heart of a chief and the soul of dragon. That is who you are son."

     "I know now that I have to go back to Berk. Become the chief and protect them. But how do you become someone that great. That brave. I can only try." I turn to the gang and smiled, "We're going back."

     Ruffnut scoffed, "With what? He took all the dragons?"

     "Not all of them." I grinned wider.