Chapter Thirty Four

Cora finally felt peaceful.

She saw a few injuries on Jonathan's arm and notice him wince as they walked away from the overjoyed crowd but she was happy. Jonathan Blue was alive !

She smiled to herself as she felt his gentle hold on her hand as he pulled her towards a new ride and that is when she noticed something was amiss.

" Blue, where's Lan ? "

She watched his mismatched eyes lock with hers in a painful gaze and he shook his head, " Never made it. "

" Oh ! " Cora gasped and the tears began.

" Hey ! Hey ! " He gently said, trying to wipe away her tears not knowing what to say because of his aching throat.

" Don't cry Cora, " He cradled her head to his chest," We won that's...what matters. "

" Lan was a good man. He never deserved it," Cora managed to choke out.

Jonathan fell silent for a moment then spoke, " A brother...I never had. "

He looked up from Cora's curly head to see Morris and Bucks infront of him. A hopeful but anxious expression on their faces.

" We know the bungalow was bombed, Jonathan. We...we are offering a place to stay as you settle and sort yourself out. My house is big enough - "

" No need, " Jonathan cut off Bucks then smiled.

Bucks' face fell.

Jonathan knew what his half brother was trying to do. Of course both Morris and Bucks knew Jonathan had many other houses but it was an attempt on Bucks' part to try and catch up with his younger half brother.

Jonathan noticed Morris' hopeless stare and he almost chuckled at their crestfallen reactions. They had misinterpreted the reason for his decline. Jonathan stepped forward still holding Cora's hand in his larger one and looked his two brother's puppy eyed expressions.

" I already forgave, " Jonathan rasped.

Their faces lit up.

" But I need... time for us, " Jonathan said shooting Cora a lingering stare.

Bucks awkwardly coughed.

" Oh ! " Morris said then chuckled.

" We shall visit soon then , " Bucks said quickly and left.

Cora stared wearily at him, " You didn't mean that , did you ? "

Jonathan smirked pulling Cora to match with his eager strides and opened the door of the waiting car letting her in first.

" Jonathan, I asked you a question ? " Cora asked annoyed.

" Wrong tone, " he glared, " You lost your...manners while I ...was away. "

****

" So beautiful ! " Cora murmured.

She looked at the spacious bungalow and expensive furniture in the living room. She admired the unique wall decors and the breathtaking view from the open glass walls overlooking a lake. The place was far from the city but quite refreshing and she followed him to ask why he never lived in the particular bungalow.

Cora walked in his bedroom mindlessly after wandering everywhere in the house. She met a dripping wet Jonathan in only a towel low on his waist.

" Sorry ! " Cora gasped and started to turn back.

" Stop ! " He rasped the order but Cora did not listen .

" We need ...to talk, "

At that she paused and slowly turned to look at the man who had somehow managed to wear grey sweatpants and was struggling with a bandage over his arm.