Chapter nine.

Jonathan looked at the clock on the wall for the fifth time and his brows creased in confusion. It was almost thirty minutes past eleven in the night and no sign of any food tray in his room. He could feel anger growing within him at the maid's inefficiency. This was the fourth mistake only in a span of three days . He wondered if she was naturally dumb not as to understand simple instructions of what was expected of her or if she derived some weird sort of pleasure by getting into trouble.

Huffing as he rose from his bed he felt exhausted. Jonathan had had a long day with the boys. They had watched the game until six p.m then each took it upon himself to perform silly dares: Frost being the first to somersault over a table, Gregory decided to hang up side down , his two hands supporting his weight and Lan decided to spin on the floor like a ball while he just watched , a shake to his head at his friends' activities. When they finally got bored and tired, they left. Frost took up all the chocolate bars in the bowl and announced they were for the love of his life. Yes, the love of his life as he was a married man with two children despite his childish mannerisms. Gregory said he had to pay his girlfriend a visit so Lan and Jonathan were left in the house as usual.

Jonathan locked up himself in his room for a short rest then woke up two hours later then sat idly on his bed watching the television until 10 : 30 p.m when he expected dinner but nothing. Now almost an hour later, he was forced to go in search of the maid and listen to another reason why she could not fulfil her duty. How he wanted to fire her but he knew he could not.

Perhaps she fell asleep.
The thought made him slowly walk to her room then knocked the door twice. After receiving no answer he pushed open the door only to find it empty of her presence and with a new wave of anger , Jonathan went to the kitchen. With slow but angry steps , he walked in ,ready to deal with the figure hovering over the cooker but a panicked Lan in a flowery apron stopped him short and Jonathan ended up glaring at the wooden stirring spoon in his right hand as he made a pathetic attempt at smiling at a fuming Jonathan.

" Boss, I'm making lasagna ," he tried to smile .

Jonathan narrowed his eyes , " Where is she ? "

" Errr...asleep. I didn't want to wake her so - "

" Lan ? "

" Boss ? "

" I'm no fool, " his lips tightened.

" Certainly not boss, "

" Where is she ? "

" She ,she might have left, "

Jonathan could feel panic settling within him , " She quit ! "

Lan sighed, " I wish she did but no boss. "

Jonathan understood why Lan made the statement. The maid was in serious trouble that she was better off if she did indeed quit.

" Then where ? "

" She requested to go out. I never thought she'd stay this long , "

Jonathan glared, " Lan ? "

" Boss ? "

" She's only allowed ...out on Sundays ! "

" It seemed urgent - "

" Enough not to ...tell me ? "

" She's afraid of you ! "

" Regardless...I'm still Boss ...not you Lan , "

" Not my fault she's scared of you , "

" Oh ! But she likes ... you ! "

" Boss - "

" You're so kind... pretending to be ... at least ...so that she ...may like you , "