17

I leaped off of the balcony. Not a thought in my head other than I needed to get to her. I reached out to shake her shoulder when she turned to look at me. She smiled and sat up rubbing her eyes before yawning. 

"Oh Rae. Hi," she mumbled sleepy. 

I sighed in relief, "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I just like sleeping outside sometimes. My mom really likes these flowers. I miss her when she is away," she said, "But you smell really nice."

She crawled into my lap resting her head against my chest. She pulled out a small, worn book.

"I knew you looked familiar. Don't tell Daddy I took this. But its a really cool story about our Goddess," she said showing me the cover. Imprinted on the leather was a wolf with a horn. "The story is about a witch who feel in love with a human. But there were evil monsters roaming the lands. Killing off all the humans. But the witch loved the humans, she wanted her family to survive. So she gave the human a gift. He could turn into a wolf, a wolf big enough and strong enough to kill the vampires. The witch was loved by everyone, and the humans were finally able to fight back with the help of the power of wolves...b-but...b-but...then a vampire kills her" I watch as tears fall down her face, "the wolf was so sad and killed the vampire in revenge for losing his loved one. P-please Rae...don't die. The vampire took away Lucas mate...don't don't let him take you too."

I held her close as she cried into my chest. She held the book tightly against her as she wailed. I had almost forgotten she was just a child. "Shhh shhh, relax Lyra," I didn't have the will to give her false hope. I could easily be killed at any time. Her forehead pressed against my cheek when I felt a tingling from my forehead. 

A woman with long brown curled hair was chained in a cell. She looked worn and beaten. When she looked up her golden eyes looked dull. 

I gasped as I stared down at Lyra's now sleeping form. A vision? Was she also a reincarnation? But of what. I felt a sort of dread as I looked down at her. My ears twitched as Lucas approved. 

"Oh I am sorry did Lyra bother you?" he said taking her out of my arms. 

"No she was laying here and I came to check on her."

"Yeah. She sleeps outside often," he motions for me to follow and I do. 

"Did Lily give you a talking?" he said as we went up to the level his room was in. Going into the room opposite of his. It was a frilly girl room. With stuffed animals and pillows everywhere. It was pretty messy. We stopover mutlipul hair pins and dresses until he laid her on the bed. Carefully taking off her dinner dress leaving her in a looser dress. 

I watch as he carefully tucks her in. Tucking in some stuffed animals next to her. He kisses her forehead and puts the book underneath her pillow before we leave. 

"Yes...she is just worried about you and your family," I said softly as he walked me back down the stairs to my room. 

"Yeah I am sorry about that. She is really protective of I and Lyra. Especially since our parents aren't here right now," Lucas said softly. 

"That book Lyra had....where did she get it?" I asked curiously. 

"Oh that old thing? Its just-" he stopped as if remembering, "The cover. A horned wolf. Like you. She stole that book from my dads study. No one is allowed in there. I am honestly not sure how she even manages to sneak in there all the time."

We reached my room when he stopped and looked at me, cupping my face in his hands. 

"Rae...I do...Really enjoy you being here...but I have a feeling something big is going to happen soon. I will do everything I can to protect you," Lucas said with his eyes glowing. I was surprised by how determined he sounded. I felt a blush creep to my cheeks. No one had ever said words to me with that kind of care.