1

Rae POV

I look from side to side impatiently. My whole body was tense, but I did not know why. Every hair on my body was standing on edge. I was in a..cellar? Its dark and cold... Am I hiding? I hear footsteps and a soft whimper escapes my mouth. Suddenly I feel a burning sensation on my wrist, I look down to see my soulmate mark appearing on my skin. Black lines started to form around my wrist...then the burning was on my other wrist and soon my ankles and neck. Why was my soulmate mark so painful and so much? I start screaming in agony, my high pitched voice echoing off the cement walls. I look up as the doors open and two red eyes stare down at me. I am no longer screaming in pain, but in fear.

I gasp as I sit up, several eyes turn to look at me. I look around confused, I was in an animal cage not in the cellar anymore. Lately, I have been having many dreams, all different in different eras and such. But all end the same, I get my painful soulmate mark and then those two red eyes. Was it a omen? Was I going to die when I turn 18?

I sigh and lean against the bars of my cage and look up at the calendar that was on the wall. In two months, on March 20, I will be 18 and thats when my soulmate marks will appear.

If I last that long.

For as long as I have remember Vampires have ruled over the world, the top of the food chain. Some werewolves have rights and privileges, mostly the wealthy ones. But the unfortunate, such as myself, end up as slaves and maids. Humans were at the very bottom and most where used for blood bags or "toys". Some slave jobs are better than others.

"Rae did you have another nightmare?" a soft, but kind voice asks next to me. I turn and look through the bars at woman in her 30's. She has short brown hair and grey eyes. Her soulmate mark was clearly visible on her rib cage since we weren't allowed any clothing. Her name is Clover and has been somewhat of the mother figure in this hell hole.

"Yeah, the red eyes came again."

"Did you see your soulmate mark this time?"

I shake my head and look down. Examining my wrist and ankles. You get your soulmate mark when your turn 18. For werewolves and vampires it is a huge celebration because your mate will also get the same mark in the same place. However, if you are a slave or maid you do not have the pleasure of finding your soulmate. Even if you do manage to, it is forbidden. They did not want to continue the ugly or unpure bloodlines of those that are slaves.

So even when I get my soulmate mark, I will probably never find my soulmate.

"Maybe you are just nervous so your brain makes up stuff," Clover continues, "I have never heard of people getting marks like that, so painful."

I nod my head and a hush falls over the room. The door in the far corner opens up and the yellow lights above us turn on. I blink several times as my eyes adjust to the bright light. The room is filled with girls of all ages. Human and werewolf. They all start cowering in their cages, their bodys shaking. Most of them anyway. Some of us are used to the Owner coming in and making a fuss. However, this time he came straight up to my cage.

I back into the farthest corner trying to distance myself from the Owner, but it doesn't make much of a difference.

"Rae I know what you did you pathetic girl," he growls and opens my cage. My eyes widen as he throws me down and I let out a yelp.

"Stop! Stop it! What did I do?" I cry out as he grabs my hair and starts dragging me out of the huge room and down the hall way. I whimper as he drags my bare body against the rough group. I can see cuts and blood on my olive skin.

"You gave food to that human  girl I was punishing didn't you!" He yelled accusingly, "One of the guards told me they saw you steal the food! This is that last time you break the rules Rae!" He starts yelling insults as me as he throws me into my all too familar cell. He pushes my body hard against the wall and his sharp fangs suddenly appear.