𝐗𝐈: Wish Upon a Star

┍━━━━ ⋆。˚☽˚。⋆ ━━━━┑

WISH UPON
A STAR

┕━━━━ ⋆。˚☽˚。⋆ ━━━━┙

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

DRIFTING BETWEEN DREAMS, Lyra is fast asleep when someone drags her from her slumber by bursting into her tent.

She blinks sleepily at first, then completely jerks awake and scrabbles to hold a thin blanket up to her chest as she looks at the intruder. "Haven't you ever heard of knocking?"

"These are tents," Monty deadpans and raises his fist uselessly. "Nothing to knock on."

"Then say something next time you come in - I'm not giving a free show!"

"You're still wearing your jacket," says Jasper, coming behind Monty with a grin. "Nice hair."

Oh. Lira glances down and then feels her cheeks start to redden. Jasper's right, she is still wearing her jacket. She relaxes.

"Shut up." She smiles a little, despite herself. "What's up?"

"Radio's a no go," reports Monty. "Raven thinks the parts won't dry out for at least half a day. She wants to rig up some kind of solar flare."

Right. Three hundred people are depending on them.

"So rise and shine," Jasper does jazz hands. "Wakey wakey Earth and despair!"

Clambering up, her mind already starts to whir. There's a dull throbbing somewhere in the front of her skull, like a heartbeat pounding against opal bone, and she feels so woozy that she starts to stumble. Jasper steadies her quickly, with a startled, "Woah!" as he catches her.

"Thanks," she mumbles, vaguely considering the pain as her fingers start to bounce rapidly against her thigh. "Solar flares, solar flares... why didn't I think of that? It's so obvious - "

"Give yourself some credit," Monty interrupts, observing her from near the entrance flap of the tent. "We haven't even had enough fuel to set any of them off until today. And you've been out all morning with a concussion."

"And you've had to deal with Bellamy," adds Jasper. "He's been... not the most help."

Then they duck out of the tent.