𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈: The Forty-Ninth

┍━━━━ ⋆。˚☽˚。⋆ ━━━━┑

THE FORTY-NINTH

┕━━━━ ⋆。˚☽˚。⋆ ━━━━┙

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

[ tw: this chapter is gonna be graphic w/ themes of blood, death, and murder ]

SO.

This is a bit of a problem.

     "I know who you are," Dante rasps. His ancient eyes flicker from the laptop to the girl in question, wrinkles creasing. "What are you doing, Lyra?"

     Tilting her chin up, Lyra tries to regard the elder man with respect. Yet she cannot find it in her to do so. Her heart rages manically in her chest. All she can feel is rage, flaring inside of her like a raw live wire. It's an aggravated conflation of anger at being lied to and then terrified dread hardening into fury.

These people have lied to her. They have lied to them about the Ark, about they have lied to them about Bellamy and Octavia. They drain Grounders of their blood for their own personal gain, and they plan on doing the same with her and their friends. They have already begun with Wells. These people are monsters.

      She almost cannot bear to look Dante in the eyes. "I've been wondering the same about you."

     "You're scared and confused, Lyra," the elderly man croaks as he takes a small step forwards. "You're worried about Clarke and your people. But we are not your enemy."

     Infuriated, Lyra snaps open the laptop screen and shows him the opened HARVEST PROJECT file. "It's too late. You can't lie to me anymore."

     There's a very tense moment as the two regard each other. Dante's expression is unreadable as he looms in the threshold, staying  tenaciously still, thin lips pressed together. Then, he roughly sweeps his arms forwards ━━

     "Restrain her."

     "Everybody stand back!"

Loud gasps bleed together as Lyra hauls her arm upwards, her eyes simmering like twin storms. Something is curled in her fists.

     Please be morons, she thinks.

"This is a grenade!" Lyra announces. She clicks her tongue loudly. "And I just armed it."