4.

"Too slow," said J

"Too slow," said J.

Jin didn't answer.

"Too slow," said J again.

No reply came but the sound of heavy breathing.

"Too…"

"Shut up!" Jin snapped.

"Faster," J smirked but didn't stop running.

They have crossed the tenth mile a while ago and there were still five miles to go before reaching the finishing line of the cross country track.

J looked at his watch. They were way ahead of his predicted time. Jin was impressive. He smiled, it became one of his favorite hobbies to annoy this man lately.

"SJ 7…."

"Shut up," Jin replied again with his usual calm voice.

"What, too tired to hear complaints? Want to quit?"

Jin increased his pace a little more in answer.

"Stop," J ordered suddenly.

Jin panted lightly supporting his hands on his knees. His face was a little red, sweat was sparkling like shining pearls against his snowy skin.

"Tired? Want a little breather?" J mocked him a little, "And they call you the legendary…"

J could not finish his words. Jin started running again without letting him finish his sentences or waiting for any order.

"Come back!" J was startled.

"You talk too much!" Jin yelled, not pausing the run.

He didn't bother to look back, if he did, he'd see J was smiling proudly.

Jin did hundred and fifty push-ups that evening at a stretch. When he finally stopped, he saw J was watching him with scrutinizing eyes.
He ran fifteen miles again the next day, finished his fifty laps of swimming without a single word. Didn't even seem to notice when J praised him for the first time.

He was seen with a field glass and the Ruger on the shooting pitch during the resting time. Practicing on his own with utmost concentration.

Jin was sitting on the edge of J's Olympic-sized swimming pool after his fifty laps of a daily late-night routine. Seeing J coming towards him with two cans of beer, he took the towel from the chair beside him and wrapped it around his shoulder.

"Look who is being uncomfortable to show his body!" J teased a little.

Jin didn't answer rather took another dry towel to dry his wet hair.

J sat in front of him and offered a can.

Jin silently took the beer.

J seemed a little bit out this time. Didn't say something to annoy Jin for the first time.

"Why?" Suddenly asked Jin.

"What why?" J was curious.

"Why You?"

J understood what Jin was trying to say.
J was indeed the best asset in the field right now working overseas. Why would someone like him be assigned to train Jin like that? Not that Jin needed this immediately. In shooting, yes, it was a rare opportunity to learn from the best, but apart from that, was it really necessary to assign him as a personal trainer?

"Got into some shits. Stirred up some troubles out there, so I was said to lay low for a while," J shrugged a little, "and the old man thought it would be a good opportunity if he could use me for a while!" His voice had hints of bitterness underneath.

"What troubles?"

"Got the whole CIA and MOSSAD in my tail kind of trouble," J responded nonchalantly.

Jin didn't respond.

"Why are you here, Seokjin?"

Jin looked at J but remained silent.

"Did it ever come to you that we have a very strange life? Ever thought about it that you'll probably regret it one day?"

Jin was still silent.

"I think it often, you know," Sighed J
sipping on his beer.

"I love this life, don't get me wrong. The thrill, the duty, the adrenaline, the risk, the danger… it all is the fuel of my life. But whenever I think that if I ever vanish if I ever die here, there will be nobody to acknowledge my presence, nobody to remember me, it feels so...unfair, you know?"

Jin sipped his beer in response.

"I don't know…this life… it just too…" J struggled for words.

"lonely," finished Jin.

"Yes. Lonely," J smiled.

"Have you ever been in love, Seokjin?" J's voice was curious, "will  anybody be there to wait for you if you ever fall?"

Jin threw the empty can onto the trash can.

"I had," J was still the only one who was talking.

Jin looked at J with mild eyes.

"And have to say, I realized, why we don't have a life, a home, or a family. It's better this way. It's better not to drag someone into our messy life. They'll eventually get hurt with all these lies and secrets and dangers!"

Jin nodded faintly.

"You didn't answer me. Why did you choose this road?"

Jin got up with the towel and nodded at J, "good night."