39.

Triggering contents ahead:

"Do you have anything to say about it, Captain Araya?"

Arya was once again hyper-aware of her surroundings. Suddenly the ranks on her shoulders and the white decorated uniform seemed too heavy to bear. Nothing was making any sense to her, she clutched on the cap on her right hand even stronger and looked at the man who asked her.

"I already stated my words in the investigation, sir."

"But the court needs to hear it again."

"With due respect sir, first we were not told about the sting operation. And no senior officers were there, I was left alone as an officer in charge of my unit. All I did was what I thought right at that moment."

"You are aware that you caused the death of thirteen people?"

Arya lowered her head and bit the inside of her cheek. Only if she could turn back the time!

"Yes, sir."

"You violated the direct order from your superior. You violated the order of keeping your position and staying put and yet you ordered your squadron to fly up. You accept the charges?"

"Yes, I do." Arya tried to stay calm.

What were they going to do with her? A life sentence? Or worse, capital punishment?
So she'd die this easily?
Arya's head again went up in the cloud. What was life going to do to her? At this point, she just wanted to go back to Korea, see it for one last time, breathe in its air.

She felt no sorrow, no regret, just a dangerous hollowness that was trying to swallow her whole. She had a big black abyss formed inside her chest, she just wasn't feeling anything anymore.

Something was happening in the courtroom, the special court-martial. Everyone was in their flawless best formal uniform. The number of people was minimum. The representative of both the stateside and Arya's side were presenting their cases, logic and counter logic, witnesses, evidence...at this point Arya wasn't even listening to them. She just stared at them blankly. So that's how it ends?

She remembered the last few days.
The day of the sting operations.

Arya wanted to laugh so suddenly. Jin was right, she always wanted to be the hero not even thinking about the consequences. Look where did it bring her now?

Only if, only if she wasn't so eager to save others and keep her head on her duties! Only if!!!

The night was chilly in the hot base camp in South Sudan. They were assigned to the peacekeeping mission under the UN. Things were going great! Regular scouting, occasional competitions within the unit, and team games.