13. Keeping Me Alive

Alex and the band put on a show for the small group of people in the club. However, the time for the club to open was approaching. As Alex was getting up to leave the stage, Lou stopped him. 

"Hey, boss!" He called out to Nick.  Nick nodded at him to show he heard him.  "Can we steal Alex for tonight's show?"

Nick looked at his watch.  "Up until his shift begins, if he is fine with it."

"Are you sure?"  He asked, but Lou and the group showed their enthusiasm.  Alex accepted the offer with a smile.  "Let me change into something nicer."

He quickly made his way down the stage and into the employee lounge.  He put on his uniform, minus the vest.  He rolled the sleeves to his elbows and slicked back his hair with a little product. It only took a few minutes, but when he came back, he was surprised to see that Nick and the others were busy on their phones. Only Jaxon was sitting lazily at the bar, sipping a drink, who flashed a smirk.  Alex felt his cheeks heat up and quickly joined the band.

His gaze mixed with confusion when he saw them setting up a microphone on the piano. Lou laughed when he saw the look. He handed him a playlist of songs. "Most of these songs, you should know, and if you don't, I'm comfortable that you will be able to figure it out. At 7:00, we will do an improvisation set, and I remember you said you could sing. We figured you can sing a song if you're up for it."

Alex saw the hopeful look in his eyes and hesitantly agreed.  It had been a while since he actually performed with a large audience.  Alex looked back at the bar, and Jaxon caught his gaze.  He gave Alex a quick wink as he pointed to the windows that overlooked the club, indicating that he would be watching from Nick's office. Alex nodded and smiled a little.

"Thank you, Lou. That means a lot to me." He said and gave his shoulder a small squeeze.

He looked over the set list and was pleased that he could keep up with the music. They started right away, beginning with light music while the club filled. Thursdays had more businessmen than other nights, making it perfect for a jazz performance. The dance floor was decommissioned, and lounge tables and chairs filled the area. The patrons were used to Lou's group because they came to a couple of times a month. However, they were intrigued by the new addition to the band.

Several of the regular women squealed when they saw their favorite bartender on the piano and rushed to the chairs near the stage. Chen watched with wonder in his eyes. He had never seen Alex so at ease in front of a crowd, even before the incident with his brother. At this moment, it seemed like he was born to be on the stage.

Alex's fingers danced across the keys, keeping up perfectly with the group, making it impossible to believe that he had only played with the band a couple of times.

The club was much quieter than before because most people watched the show. In Nick's office, several well-dressed men were sitting around a table and drinking beverages calmly. But their eyes were gleaming out the window towards the young man at the piano. Jaxon hadn't acknowledged any of them and was leaning against the window, watching intently.

One man at the table slapped Nick on the shoulder. "How did you know we needed a break today?"

Nick chuckled. "I know all major talent agencies would be busy with the Amateur Showcase, so I figured you would like to come and relax a little."

He didn't want them to know that he really just wanted them to listen to Alex. He knew Lou was waiting until the end of his set to let him sing. And if he performed half as good as he did when he applied for the job, then someone would pick him up for sure. If LuxStar destroyed Alex's opportunity to be a part of the Amateur Showcase, he'd create another opportunity for him. Alex was one of his people now, and he would not allow his dreams to be crushed by some subpar company.